Add-on Meme Maker

drastic

Hi,

I need an addon that let's a user select one of our meme pics, then chose text to place on top and bottom of the meme, and our watermark.

User will create the meme, then upon completion xenforo creates a reply in my "memes" thread with the picture saved as an attachment and goes to the thread.

It also says "right click to download" and "share this image" and posts the link to the post under each image.

Any thoughts?

Cool idea.

Would probably work better as an integration with XFMG - since you are generating images and you want to be able to grab the bbcode for the generated image to paste it easily into a post - which XFMG already gives you.

nah, don't want xmg.

we had it and disabled it because none of our users used it or commented on the media.

we keep our pics/vids in threads and we get a lot more comments and interaction. That's just our personal experience with it of course.

Having the site display the url to the image is probably the easiest part of making this.

we had it and disabled it because none of our users used it or commented on the media.

we keep our pics/vids in threads and we get a lot more comments and interaction. That's just our personal experience with it of course.
Very wise.
It's a predictable experience.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason on one of my sites which uses a heavily hacked version of vBulletin (with a Photopost backend) to display a photo as the subject of a forum thread (in the gallery "forums" area). There are nearly 230,000 photos on the site, many with a lot of discussion associated with them, fully searchable and integrated with the rest of the vBulletin system.

XFMG won't do what I need for this site, so I'll probably end up building my own custom solution on top of XenForo once I have the time to do the migration.

Back on topic - how is the list of meme pics defined? Who uploads them - users or just admins?

Great question. I'd have to have a list of current blank ones, with user option to upload their own. Then as admin, I can look through the uploads and decide which ones become part of the ones a user can chose from.

I'm sure it could easily be done, it's not much different than creating a text watermark, but rather two watermarks and letting the users have permission to do so.

while the idea is simple and can be done easily with canvas, it would need a proper integration in XF. here are some ideas:

1-the actual forum list is not the best way to display graphic content. a grid layout that shows all the meme in one page ( or any graphic design) is better. example:
https://www.canva.com/#design-stream
2- Its better not to store all pictures uploaded by the user in the server, but just the one used finally in the design. the user always tries many pictures before selecting one.
3- it would be nice if we can save the final meme/design as template that can be edited later by every one.

I would like to participate in co-founding a similar addon. especially if it is more "graphic designer" than a simple meme maker.

@sonnb may be able to do this.

@Chris D could probably get XFMG to do it too.

What if we could have XF store the images remotely, such as an imgur account? That could spark some social sharing for us.

Ability to insert a meme on the photo is planned in XenGallery long time ago but I do not have enough time to work on it yet.

woah....glad I've got a license then!

looks like @sonnb may pick up a few extra customers if this gets added soon.

It would be great for forums in the humor niche.

Last edited:
Top Bottom