Members signing up with their real names

The correct phrase to edit is:
your_name_or_email_address

Admin / Search Phrases lets you answer these kinds if questions quickly.

Not if you don't know what exactly to search for. I didn't even realize "phrases" controlled that.

I realize some of you have been doing this for awhile and know every nook and cranny but not all of us have/do...

Not if you don't know what exactly to search for. I didn't even realize "phrases" controlled that.

I realize some of you have been doing this for awhile and know every nook and cranny but not all of us have/do...
Whenever you are wanting to replace a string - first place to check is ACP -> Appearances -> Search Phrases. A lot of them are controlled from there. :)

I understand. That's why I mentioned how to find this answer. There is a lot to learn.

That one didn't do it either :( See, this is confusing...
Not being a snide, but if you would have followed the suggestion of using the search phrase ability for the phrase this is your name that will be shown (which is a partial on what you want to change) you would have found this ;)
screenshot.webp

Now that I'm paying attention and talking about the same thing everyone else is, I'll summarize the phrases involved! :D
  • In the drop-down that appears when you click Log In / Sign Up, there is a label : "Your name or email address". To change this one, the phrase is "your_name_or_email_address".
  • Once you get to the registration form, the top field is labeled "Name". The phrase is "name". (Note that this phrase is used in many places. not just here.)
  • The explanation below the Name field is this_is_name_that_will_be_shown_with_your_messages.
To discourage real name signups you may want to consider changes to all three.
If you don't want to change the phrase 'name' because it affects other pages, you could edit the register_form template instead. That's what I think I will do.

Now that I'm paying attention and talking about the same thing everyone else is, I'll summarize the phrases involved! :D
  • In the drop-down that appears when you click Log In / Sign Up, there is a label : "Your name or email address". To change this one, the phrase is "your_name_or_email_address".
  • Once you get to the registration form, the top field is labeled "Name". The phrase is "name". (Note that this phrase is used in many places. not just here.)
  • The explanation below the Name field is this_is_name_that_will_be_shown_with_your_messages.
To discourage real name signups you may want to consider changes to all three.
If you don't want to change the phrase 'name' because it affects other pages, you could edit the register_form template instead. That's what I think I will do.

Finally got it! Thanks!

Top Bottom