Member types reply and find out it was since closed/removed

dethfire

On busy forums like my own it's not uncommon for a member to be writing a lengthy reply and then when they press submit, it throws an error because by the that time it has been closed or removed. This has really frustrated some of my members. I don't know what can be done, but it's a problem.

The draft function should save the editor content.

How long are they taking to write posts?
If it's that long I would suggest they write it using a text app and then paste it into the editor.

My point is that by the time they are ready to submit, the thread has either been closed or removed due to some violation. :)

Then they will need to either post quicker or adjust their behaviour.

I'm not sure this classes as being posted in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' as it pertains to member behaviour and what would appear to be something specific to your site if threads are being routinely closed or deleted, so I have moved it to forum management.

What do you mean "adjust their behaviour"? The point isn't that threads are routinely closed or deleted. The point is that someone could be replying to a thread the same time it's being closed or deleted and spend time writing a quality thought out reply, not a quick post, and by the time they submit, even 5 minutes, their reply is not accepted. This leads to pissed of members because the system doesn't notify them that hey the thread has been closed or removed while you write your reply.

To be fair this can be a problem with other platforms too, even blog comments.

There is an inbuilt live notification that alerts users when new replies are made when you're drafting a reply - maybe that could be extended to include thread deletion via custom development?

Happens on facebook all the time. A notification similar to the 'there have been new replies' feature may help but I'd still be pissed off it if I was a good way into a long reply.

Could have the mod/admin make a post of the thread being removed or closed. That way anybody typing will get the 'new reply' message.

Last edited:
Top Bottom