[MEGA] file sharing - cloud storage - https://mega.co.nz/ (Kim Dotcom's new Megaupload)

Digital Doctor

So .. What does everyone think of the new MEGA cloud storage ?

Interesting:
- might be Chrome only to start ! (or Chrome works better).
- User Controlled Encryption seems to be the interesting twist with MEGA. [more here]
- you supply the "key" which is just a password really.

Initial / Welcome page:
https.mega.co.nz.webp

File Manager:
mega.co.nz.file.manager.webp

Prices for Pro accounts:
mega.Pro.accounts.10.bucks.for.500.gigs.webp

About Mega:

We are a dedicated group of technologists who were given the time, opportunity and Internet access to build an awesome cloud storage service that will help protect your privacy. We have programmed this Internet service from scratch in Auckland, New Zealand. Unlike most of our competitors, we use a state of the art browser based encryption technology where you, not us, control the keys. Our design group includes Kim Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk, and Finn Batato. Our CEO, industry veteran Tony Lentino, has experience running a renowned global domain registry. We hope you like it.
mega.co.nz.cloud.storage.webp

Judging by the silhouettes, I think that Kim Dotcom is holding the G ! ;)

User Controlled Encryption:

What is MEGA User Controlled Encryption?
All files stored on MEGA are encrypted. All data transfers from and to MEGA are encrypted. And while most cloud storage providers can and do claim the same, MEGA is different – unlike the industry norm where the cloud storage provider holds the decryption key, with MEGA, you control the encryption, you hold the keys, and you decide who you grant or deny access to your files, without requiring any risky software installs. It’s all happening in your web browser!​

impressive speech:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be nice if there was a sync program similiar to Google's GDrive
But it's a nice idea, definitely, 500gb for free? Holy cow
It doesn't mention bandwith for free users though, that I could see anyways

But with that said, even the bandwith offering and storage for the pro accounts, are very reasonably (aka, super cheap) priced.

Couple of huge flaws:

- Only one password box when registering, easy to typo as I did
- No way to change your password whether logged in or out and no way to delete empty accounts (which would somewhat make up for it)

Sounds interesting, but after trying I found that the upload speed is slow as hell. Seriously, a 50kb image should not take up to a minute to upload. Even in Chrome it's that slow, which means it's probably server side..

Heh, I didn't try uploading, till just now
Using Firefox (nightly), 7mb archive, it's sitting there on uploading, has been for about 2 minutes now
Yea, it's gonna take about 4 minute at this rate, probably longer
I have a 20mb upload speed, so in idea circumstances, it should take less than 10 seconds.
At least Google's GDrive system works fast all the time, even if it doesn't have much storage space.

Ah wait, I just realised something, for some reason I thought the storage space was 500gb, it's 50gb
Ah well, heh

Speaking of security, just saw this, which is a little worrying:
Can't say I remember flying to the USA on the 22nd of January.

BrowserIP-addressCountryMost recent activity
chrome.png
Chrome on Windows 198.23.135.20
us.gif
United States 2013-01-22 19:22
firefox.png
Firefox on Windows xxxxxxxxxxxx
gb.gif
United Kingdom
Current session

Heh, I didn't try uploading, till just now
Using Firefox (nightly), 7mb archive, it's sitting there on uploading, has been for about 2 minutes now
Yea, it's gonna take about 4 minute at this rate, probably longer
I have a 20mb upload speed, so in idea circumstances, it should take less than 10 seconds.
At least Google's GDrive system works fast all the time, even if it doesn't have much storage space.

Ah wait, I just realised something, for some reason I thought the storage space was 500gb, it's 50gb
Ah well, heh
100 mb/s here and still takes minutes... even with Chrome as they so blatantly advertise... so meh.

And the security?

There's a number of articles on why their encryption, key generation and the way the site is being served brings into question whether the site's developers actually understand cryptography. They designed their own cryptosystem, and not surprisingly, it's broken. For example, they initially used CBC-MAC as a one way hash function, but CBC-MAC is not a one way hash function. I believe they switched to SHA-256 when that was pointed out, but it makes you wonder what other subtle or non-subtle security problems remain. They really didn't even need a (H)MAC anyway, there's no secret. The hash comes from the "secure" server. It was just for an integrity check -- but now I'm rambling.

TL;DR: The only purpose of the encryption is to give Mega strong basis for denying any knowledge of what the content stored on their servers represent.

For those that struggle with the silly upload speeds, there's some settings that aren't too obvious at first sight:

Click here for the Mega account settings.

Specifically, you can disable SSL which gives a small performance boost, but more importantly, the upload transfer limit setting. You can set it to "none" to massively increase the speed of the upload. (it went from minutes for a 40kb file to a few seconds for a 25 mb file for me)

Why is there an option to limit my uploading speed, and why is it enabled by default?
Many routers do not prioritize smaller packets in case of link congestion, resulting in your inbound traffic being severely affected when your outbound link is full. We therefore measure your available outbound bandwidth during the initial ten seconds of an upload and then keep at least 10% of it unused. You can try to maximize your upload performance by disabling this option.

For those that struggle with the silly upload speeds, there's some settings that aren't too obvious at first sight:

Click here for the Mega account settings.

Specifically, you can disable SSL which gives a small performance boost, but more importantly, the upload transfer limit setting. You can set it to "none" to massively increase the speed of the upload. (it went from minutes for a 40kb file to a few seconds for a 25 mb file for me)

Yea that's the first thing I disabled
I'll stick with GDrive for now, just don't feel safe/secure with Mega right now
It is essentially Beta, so given time, it's bound to get better.

Tried it again today, was able to max my upload speed at 2.1mb/sec
So obviously improvements are being made.
I'm going to use it for non essential/non private stuff.

Top Bottom