Media thread type

gib

For those that have purchase XF Media gallery, it would be great if there was a MEDIA thread type available in forum nodes.
It would be ideal for grouping a node's disussion posts and media posts under a forum node.

I find the current media menu strange to navigate through.
Having to create media categories is useful, but rather awkward.

The thread type icon could be an Image, Video or Audio icon

Upvote 14
Thank for suggesting this, I believe you might have seen me mention it in another thread.

With the new thread types this could be a great thing for MG exposure. A thread for media and comments (with ratings) and the media is also in the Gallery.

However I am not a fan of comment mirroring. Where, you reply to the thread and a comment is also posted in the Gallery. I'm not sure if that hurts SEO as duplicate comments but I am not a fan in general, I like there to be one central place for things, when you mirror it dilutes and causes confusion. A central place is tidier.

It could work like Resources, where, the Discussion tab is really the forum (a thread). It is not mirrored, it's "once central place." So that's an idea. Use the forum for media comments, ratings, reviews via a new Media-type thread.

BIG upvote! Anything to improve Gallery discovery!

Thanks!

I agree with this.

But - why is media gallery even a separate section?

Media gallery type threads + forums
+
Attachment manager

What would be missing?

Would this not be something you would add in a Media Gallery update, not base XF? I mean, it's not much use to those of us who don't use Media Gallery and, IIRC, the new developer tools allow adding other thread types in add-ons. It seems like a good idea, just wondering if it's in the right place.

Thread Types are new to XF; Q&A, Suggestion, Article and the system is fully extensible. This suggestion is to add a Media-type, so yes this is the correct section. It would be a thread type and work in conjunction with Gallery but integrate the posts with the forum via thread.

Thread Types are new to XF; Q&A, Suggestion, Article and the system is fully extensible. This suggestion is to add a Media-type, so yes this is the correct section. It would be a thread type and work in conjunction with Gallery but integrate the posts with the forum via thread.

So why not add it via Media Gallery? I don't get what the benefit is of having it in core is. If devs can add thread types via add-ons, then so can XF.

Anyhow, I am not opposed or anything and will upvote the suggestion. Just missing some of the logic here.

I also would love this- I should have seen this before I posted in the other forum but I said --> wondering if this can be done, I was thinking having a node designed for memes / media only, similar to reddit but specific to one node. Possibly a forum type, similar to selecting "forum" or "forum link, or even sub with "discussions/polls/questions/ media" So rather than discussion, someone has to upload a photo, which is thumbnailed within the forum listing, and then can be commented/liked/starred whatever and then reflected in the media library.

So I fully agree

Top Bottom