Media Temple (mt) sold to GoDaddy

HannahP

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/godaddy-acquires-media-temple-to-run-as-separate-business

An odd move for a company like Media Temple that has built its reputation by being pretty much the polar opposite of what GoDaddy has come to represent.

GoDaddy seems to be on the road to becoming another Endurance, i.e., a hosting company consolidator. GoDaddy has "acquired" Media Temple, and both sides claim that (mt) will be run as "a separate entity," but in reality, that is rarely ever the real case in the long run.

It's not news that would fill me with hope and joy if I were a Media Temple customer.

GoDaddy must have given them a pretty good offer. That said, I never used Media Temple, always seemed overpriced to me. I'd rather go AWS if I were to spend top dollar on hosting.

I've been pissed off since I learned about the purchase when I got into work. Already started looking at datacenters to go to. MediaTemple will be losing about $37,000 worth of business a year from me.
Ouch...I wish I had a client for anything that was giving me $3300/mo on the reg. I suspect you won't be the only person jumping ship before this is all said and done.

Never heard of them.
Never used them.

GoDaddy now owns them.
Sucks to be their customer now.
Sucks to be them (unless you're the original owner, in which case you are now laughing all the way to the bank)

It's the nature of the beast. If you stick with one shared host long enough, you'll most likely experience a merger or acquisition. It's also not an odd move. Demian Sellfors, co-founder of Media Temple, has explicitly stated they always had their eye on an exit since day one.

Ouch...I wish I had a client for anything that was giving me $3300/mo on the reg. I suspect you won't be the only person jumping ship before this is all said and done.
It's a DV Enterprise that's SEC compliant and insured. Hence the need to deal with a datacenter that works closely with the SEC. I also have another account with them under a VPS, which will also be moving. The service with MT has been brilliant the last few years, and while I'm still seething with anger and regret, I need to find a new provider quickly.

Edit: Just reread the end of your post. You're right, actually. A had a quick lookover on Reddit earlier today and some familiar company reps from the likes of typical large world-class companies and such are stating they'll be moving. MT made a great brand for itself. Delivering top notch enterprise level product (their dedicated) for a slightly lower price, plus their great support system. It pains me greatly to have to move.

Last edited:
It's the nature of the beast. If you stick with one shared host long enough, you'll most likely experience a merger or acquisition. It's also not an odd move. Demian Sellfors, co-founder of Media Temple, has explicitly stated they always had their eye on an exit since day one.
Their shared hosting isn't good and they're often used for their VPS and dedicated servers, the latter of which is blazing fast and the service is top notch. 24/7 365 technician available to ail your server's qualms? Bloody good.

There is softlayer but they are more in the middle of cali (San Jose), I am fairly sure that if you lock up with something nice with them that they wont be getting sold off any time soon but other than that of the top of my head I can't think of anything.

My Twitter feed was absolutely full of people complaining yesterday and I know of several people who have abandoned ship already. Even if GoDaddy don't change anything, they've still ruined it simply by associating their name.

Their shared hosting isn't good and they're often used for their VPS and dedicated servers, the latter of which is blazing fast and the service is top notch. 24/7 365 technician available to ail your server's qualms? Bloody good.

They're first and foremost a shared hosting company, if you want to go by customer numbers. You could change "shared hosting" to just "hosting" though, and the statement is still fairly accurate. The majority of these companies get acquired or merge at some point, which is really all I was saying. Someone else mentioned SoftLayer in this thread, which is a great example of this (Ev1 merges with The Planet; SoftLayer is formed by ex-execs of The Planet; SoftLayer merges with The Planet, taking over infrastructure; SoftLayer is bought by IBM).

I've never used (mt), as I felt their offerings were overpriced, but I do know a few people who have. Their experiences mostly mirror what you have said, though I know some who jumped ship a few months ago because they didn't. That's hosting though, experiences can vary widely from customer to customer just from the misfortune of being in a different datacenter, being on a different virtualization-host, different routers, etc.

Last edited:
There is softlayer but they are more in the middle of cali (San Jose), I am fairly sure that if you lock up with something nice with them that they wont be getting sold off any time soon but other than that of the top of my head I can't think of anything.
San Jose's fine. It's a decent day trip upstate, plus I love the city. I took a look and did some configuring and everything seems to be coming in within $150 of what I'm paying now, but I'll have to have them have a lookover our current setup to get the right setup. Wasn't too please about seeing their relationship with McAfee products though.

You may want to look at Verizon Terremark if you need SEC compliance. There is also a cloud based option that might be a good blend between pricing and performance

http://www.terremark.com/verizoncloud
Cheers, will request a rep to call me.

It's a DV Enterprise that's SEC compliant and insured. Hence the need to deal with a datacenter that works closely with the SEC. I also have another account with them under a VPS, which will also be moving. The service with MT has been brilliant the last few years, and while I'm still seething with anger and regret, I need to find a new provider quickly.

Edit: Just reread the end of your post. You're right, actually. A had a quick lookover on Reddit earlier today and some familiar company reps from the likes of typical large world-class companies and such are stating they'll be moving. MT made a great brand for itself. Delivering top notch enterprise level product (their dedicated) for a slightly lower price, plus their great support system. It pains me greatly to have to move.
Almost every single designer and developer I know that used MT has ditched them as of yesterday and today; a big portion of their more vocal customers were the designer and developers that have helped advertise them for years now.

Yes, VPS clients seems like it. I know of a few other businesses much like ours who are ditching their enterprise class hosting for another company. My experience with MT was brilliant. The techs and staff et al were always happy to discuss anything on our minds, even random chit chat. Though I suppose some bias may have played into that given the amount of money we were paying, but I've read the same about VPS customers, of which I am also one. I don't think I've ever seen someone use their grid service, usually people will sign up with Linode or ASO.

Good Grief. MediaTemple has been the worst host I've ever dealt with. I always found their support unprofessional and quite unhelpful. Same could be said for GoDaddy in my opinion.

Top Bottom