Media of the Day/Week/Month

Media of the Day/Week/Month 1.1.1

No permission to download

0ptima

0ptima submitted a new resource:

Media of the Day/Week/Month - Schedule the automatic creation of a thread with a random entry from your XenForo Media Gallery

This add-on will randomly select a media gallery entry from a guest visible category in your XenForo Media Gallery and post it in a new thread that is created when the scheduled cron task is run.
View attachment 114281

The add-on can be configured to select media based on a minimum amount of likes, comments, views, times media has been rated, average rating and from which categories to select media from. Thread creation can be configured to include a title prefix, thread prefix,...

Read more about this resource...

Installed, but nothing gets posted & there's nothing in the server log, regardless of criteria. Mandatory fields have been completed & selection criteria is as loose as possible (zeros for everything).

Do you have any guest visible media gallery categories? What ID does your guest usergroup have?

@thumped

Is it possible that you have video only in your gallery?

If so, in library\MediaOTDWM\Model\MediaOTDWM.php replace

Code:
where media_type = 'image_upload' and media_state = 'visible' and media_privacy = 'category'

Code:
where media_state = 'visible' and media_privacy = 'category'

@thumped

Is it possible that you have video only in your gallery?

If so, in library\MediaOTDWM\Model\MediaOTDWM.php replace

Code:
where media_type = 'image_upload' and media_state = 'visible' and media_privacy = 'category'

Code:
where media_state = 'visible' and media_privacy = 'category'

yes, it's video only. made that change & manually ran the cron job but still nothing posted & there's nothing in the error log.

Cool add-on!

Suggestion:

Instead of having the cron make a new thread everytime. It would be great if we had the option so the pictures could keep being cronned/added into the same thread or exisiting thread.
- Existing Destination Thread ID
or
- Post in New Thread

This way we could have media of the day/week/month mega thread.

The reason i ask this. Is because for forums that don't have many members or posts. I don't want to have many threads with only 1 post and no replies.

So with this option. I can just keep posting in the same thread.
Plus i could match the thread with Forum Node & Media Gallery Category.

I think this would be more appealing to guests. If the thread has many pictures, then they would spend a long time looking at the thread. And imagine 1 picture a day, after a year, it would be a thread with 365 pictures(y)

I will try it soon so i can give you many more suggestions. This add-on looks fun.

Last edited:
Instead of having the cron make a new thread everytime. It would be great if we had the option so the pictures could keep being cronned/added into the same thread or exisiting thread.

I added the feature to post in an existing thread.

woo hoo!! tank you sir!!

I will try this add-on first thing tomorrow morning. I think i can find a good use for it. Sometimes i find pictures in the media gallery are lost, because members upload them, but most active traffic is in the posts, but with this add-on i can make it so it automatically posts the media that is uploaded in threads everyday. So the media won't be lost.

i already start to think about more ideas, i will test and report back here. (y)

Here is my report and some suggestions after some testing:

Let's say my forum looks like this:

My Car Forum
BMW Node
Ferrari Node
Honda Node
Off-Topic Node

Media Gallery
BMW Category
Ferrari Category
Honda Category
Random Category

It would be great we could add multiple "Media of the Day" cron tasks
By having the option to add multiple cron tasks we could easily add a "Media of the Day" Thread in each Forum Node.

BMW Node - Media of the Day BMW Thread
Ferrari Node - Media of the Day Ferrari Thread
Honda Node - Media of the Day Honda Thread
Offtopic Node - Media of the Day Random Picture and Video Thread

At the moment we are restricted to only having 1 Media of the Day/cron task. I don't think that's enough especially if your forum has many nodes and many media gallery categories.

Here is a picture i made on paint to explain how it might look.

Capture.webp
As you can see in this picture i currently have 3 "Media of the Day/Week/Month" tasks

I believe the rss feeder work this way, you can add as many thread feeder as you want.

I think this is more of internal coding, but It would be good if you were able to stop the cron from posting the same pictures more than once.
As you can see in my test forum media gallery, i have 1 category with a total of 9 media.
test.webp
I created a media of the day test thread and manually ran the cron to see what happens. The outcome was it posted duplicates of the same photos. Possibly it would be better if it could remember which photos it had posted before, So it would not posts the same photos in the same thread/cron task
and once it has posted all the photos, it would not post more until new ones arrived.

As you can see it posted the same photo ,4 times in my test thread
Posts.webp
I had to shrink it to fit all on the screen.

At the moment i believe your add-on automatically grabs and posts the: "[Gallery] BB Code"
It would be good if you gave us the option that we could instead force it to grab and post the "BB (With Thumbnail) Code"
code.webp
The reason for this is, I find if you use the Gallery BB Code, for videos, members will just watch the video from the thread, if you force them to go the the media gallery page, by having to click on the thumbnail, they are most likely to comment/press like. etc.

At the moment, That's all i can think about for some improvements. (y)

It has a lot more features that i didn't test such as minimum amount of comments etc. But since my test forum is empty. I would not be able to see the full potential.

I can quickly think about other features, you could make it automatically post pictures to certain forum nodes/thread as soon as someone uploads a picture in the media gallery, but i haven't thought about it more, so i won't talk about it more, Just some small idea for anyone that also likes this add-on.

I like this add-on, it's fun and brings new content every day/week/month.

Last edited:
My title of the thread is called "Photo of the day" but for some reason, it added "image" the the thread title. Can I avoid that?

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.05.07 AM.webp

I think that's the normal way it behaves, it adds 2 things in the title:

Thread Title - Media Description

As you can see in my .png photo i did some testing and mine also has that in the title.

picture below

Capture.webp

If i remove the thread titles in the options, then it only shows the media description,

I don't see any option in the admin panel, to remove the media description from the thread title, I think you would have to suggest it

What might look better for now is if you add a " - " to separate it

Capture2.webp

or make sure your images are well named, but most people just upload and don't worry about the name

but an option would be good,
i think members are most likely to click the thread without the media description,
it's like a mystery and they want to know what the media of the day is about.
so they must click inside to find out

Last edited:
Top Bottom