Media Gallery Addon: Pros and Cons?

I don't like how separate it is from the forums. I wish new Gallery posts/comments were integrated with threads/replies in What's New results instead of relying on widgets.
I do like the attachment mirroring and feel it is one step toward better integration, and I plan to use this soon when I migrate a photo-heavy forum.

Last edited:
I don't like how separate it is from the forums. I wish new Gallery posts/comments were integrated with threads/replies in What's New results instead of relying on widgets.
I do like the attachment mirroring and feel it is one step toward better integration, and I plan to use this soon when I migrate a photo-heavy forum.
Pretty much this.

Each photo has its own comment section and reactions. But this area feels pretty hidden to me so I think I have this stuff disabled. If even I would hardly notice that stuff, my members definitely won’t.

If I had to buy it again, i wouldn't.

99% of the content in it came from photopost from the vb conversion 10 years ago. Few new images have been uploaded.

The thing is, attachments work really good now and people aren't making albums of their stuff, they are making threads about their stuff and attaching pics to it.

So, for some communities, perhaps photography related, i would say a picture- first approach may work better.

If I had to buy it again, i wouldn't.

99% of the content in it came from photopost from the vb conversion 10 years ago. Few new images have been uploaded.

The thing is, attachments work really good now and people aren't making albums of their stuff, they are making threads about their stuff and attaching pics to it.

So, for some communities, perhaps photography related, i would say a picture- first approach may work better.

My forum is about vehicles so there are a lot of photos. People create "build threads" to document the modifications and trips they go on with their truck.

I agree with you and I think making albums is redundant. They want their photos in their threads. So, what I do is mirror specific forums into specific categories. I think doing this makes the media gallery pretty cool (for my members) but without them having to think about it.

https://tacoma3g.com/media/

I’m on the very happy side with this addon. Most of my users though prefer to post images to threads and view with MG. I turned on the slideshow function which was surprisingly was off be default.

The discussion aspect of MG is useless for my purposes and I wish I could turn it off.

A coder helped me extend the ads function to MG.

It would also be nice if notices were extended.

Now that we have used it for awhile my only real complaint is image sorting.

Batch adding from a file system was a problem but it was solved by Mysiteguy and at a good price for the import.

Top Bottom