Lack of interest Media Attachment mirroring - search query

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

briansol

I want to set up attachment mirroring on my site.

At first, i made a gallery category called 'attachments', and it got large and stupid fast. :D

So, i thought i could break it down more into topics or tags and put related media there. 'widget A' and 'widget B' for example.
but if i only the option to source from a forum, 'widgets', i can't separate out the desired images. Some may say i should split these 2 up into their own forum, but topically, it doesn't make sense to do so.

Now, i realize that there is no good way to know if the attachment represents widget A or B, but perhaps i could search for it and tweak my search to a couple keywords. Maybe "tall" only describes "A" widgets so a mirror from widgets where title like %tall% could populate that one, and a not like %tall% the rest?

I'm sure there's better ways, but it would be nice to have more tools to do this other than a whole forum. Maybe leverage the 'search result as a forum' tool to build a list of desired media to do the mirroring from?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
the attachment mirroring does seem a very 1.0 feature with a lot of potential features.

Search media categories would be nice. But the challenge is how search would work for primarily images. People are bad at naming things.

right now I believe it just searches file names and tags. Seems like post content and thread title could be weaker signals as well.

Yeah, it's a hard ask because the attachment data is not labeled data. DSC12312312_2020.jpg doesn't tell us much.

Which elevates the question -- is there a tool to help label our data better with some manual 'training' set? The obvious answer built in to XF is no. but maybe it doesn't have to be a native XF tool. It's probably better off built in python anyway.

We're quickly venturing into machine learning, but it's something i've been thinking about, running a POC on Sagemaker (since my attachments are all on s3 bucket anyway), but sagemaker isn't good about feature weighting which may be a critical success factor to a model like this.

build a quick training set
20 images that represent A
20 images that represent B

run the rest through the model.
if no match, leave them as unlabeled and a more refined model can be built on 40 more samples.

build some way to store the meta data in a new table? (ID, img.jpg, bucketA) ?

Sure, it may mess up some outliers, but i'm not expecting perfection? moderators can move them manually later (is that a feature?) as they show up.
Otherwise, 80 or 90% of the attachments are sorted in the correct bucket.

Last edited:
wordpress plugins are light years ahead of xf. it's discouraging, but understandable.... wp marketshare is likely 10000s of times larger than xf. I haven't messed with azure services, but that looks really simple.

Top Bottom