Resource icon

Mastodon integration 1.0.1

No permission to download

Z61

Z61 submitted a new resource:

Mastodon integration - Adds a Mastodon connected account provider

Adds a connected account provider for XenForo 2 that allows OAuth 2 integration with an Mastodon instance.

Installing

• Install the add-on by extracting the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo 2 installation.
  • Visit ACP and click install on Mastodon integration
  • Then configure the add-on by following the steps below.
Setting up your Mastodon app

For this example, I'll be using...

Read more about this resource...

I know it is Unmaintained, but can you please reactivate the download link? I like to install it on my forum and there is no other add-on available. Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

With Twitter falling apart and people taking a renewed interest in Mastodon and distributed internet communities, any chance you might bring this integration back? I run a fandom forum and I'd love to offer this to people leaving Twitter right now.
Curious about this as well -- Mastodon has gained millions of users in the past week, if there was a reliable integration add-on for XF it would be worth paying for... at least for some forums

I probably don't need it myself, but I can see it being of value for many other sites going forward now that the Twitter situation has made Mastodon better known. If the original dev isn't able to bring it back, wonder if another could take it over or produce a new one.

I'm curious as to how this add-on actually works (or worked.)

Mastodon is really picky about usernames -- once you set one, it is in stone and can't be changed without breaking a whole bunch of stuff. So I'm wondering can the addon take the XF username and use it to create a mastodon account on the mastodon server instance, and if so how does it choose what part of the username to use?

Z61 updated Mastodon integration with a new update entry:

Small improvements

• Move to using read:accounts scope over read. If you are using a previous version make sure to change/add scopes in your Mastodon app!
  • Add styling to button for associating with Mastodon.

Read the rest of this update entry...

If anyone is experiencing bugs related to authentication, let me know which Mastodon instance you are using and provide a screenshot of your app's settings on Mastodon (Scope settings, I don't need / want your client information)

there is no good solution for that because there is no single entity to send the link to. at least i haven't been able to find any. i have seen a few bookmarklets that let you set your own instance and they work fine most of the time. but share button for websites would require some custom coding and expecting the user to enter the instance url properly is going to be a tough task.

Would like to see, when you can add sth like "Share with Mastodon" :)
If you're on a mobile device and you have a client app installed like Tusky then you'll already be able to do that.

EDIT: Just tested, it also works (at least on Android) if you've installed the PWA for your instance. 👍

Last edited:
Windows (and I imagine MacOS too) have mobile browser style intent sharing. But it is quite hopeless on Windows at least because they seem to work with very limited apps.

So will this let new users register using their Mastodon account?
I haven't played with it yet but the overview is that it'll allow registering from a specific Mastodon instance, not all Mastodon accounts in general. Would come in handy for any communities that are control of both their XF installation and their own Mastodon instance.

(At the moment I still trying to figure out why I can't my instance to recognize my XF profile field to get it 'verified' on the instance let alone playing with this add-on. 🦣 gggrrrrr)

Top Bottom