Mass email users -> Allow sending via deferred system to overcome huge issues

Rob

I occasionally send out important announcements and newsletters via the admin area to all users - almost every time I do this now the send process falls over at some point (60K users) with no possible way to resume at the failure point. This is actually a nightmare for me and I assume most big boards using the xenforo sending system have run into this.

I'd like an option when sending a mass email for it to use the deferred system - I personally will send all mass emails with this option, but understand others may not want it for every mail send. It would also be good to specify how many emails to process at once, currently I believe it's 50, but the process of queuing all of this into the deferred system im sure could use a much higher number.

There are some mods that allow xenforo to integrate with other mail gateways and to use other transports but xenforo itself handles the send process and this issue is ever-present regardless of mod.

Please @Mike & @Kier I'm begging something be done as I've not managed to conduct a full mail send for months now.

Thanks for your consideration.

Upvote 9
This is actually part of a wider problem. Effectively all the important email sent via the admincp are sent directly, and do not go via the email queue system.

So when accepting/rejecting moderated users, the notification emails all go out in a single http request.

@Xon, waindigo has released a modification that puts emails sent via admincp into a deferred queue. I now queue 40K emails in mere seconds and they all get sent within a few hours.... no more errors for me. Check it out, one of @Jon W 's mods.

I should imagine this functionality would get incorporated into the core in a future release as it makes an awful lot of sense.

@Xon, waindigo has released a modification that puts emails sent via admincp into a deferred queue. I now queue 40K emails in mere seconds and they all get sent within a few hours.... no more errors for me. Check it out, one of @Jon W 's mods.
I actually did check @Jon W's implementation.

It still permits the following emails types to bypass the queue:
  • Spam Cleaner
  • Email Confirmation
  • User Moderation - Approval
  • User Moderation -Rejection
  • Password Reset Request
  • Password Reset
  • Contact Us
I've released an addon which added a fairly simple work around. Most of the complexity in that addon is actually from the failed-queue implementation and expanding the Mail queue to be more extensible.

I should imagine this functionality would get incorporated into the core in a future release as it makes an awful lot of sense.
It is actually a trivial change, and quite low impact to the codebase.

Top Bottom