Managing Huge Forums

bcercan

Hello,

It's hard to manage huge forums. There is many threads opening, new replies and tons of reports every moment. What do you using for make easier managing of your forums? Or what do you suggest for this?

And by the way I wanted to show you a video that I saw on a forum which using a system called "Real Time Moderation" to managing easily their huge forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What do you think about this system?

Live streams are the future for community software, but I do not see how you can moderate content without seeing context. I think the moderation function as shown in the video is useless.

Live streams are the future for community software, but I do not see how you can moderate content without seeing context. I think the moderation function as shown in the video is useless.
It would be great If integrated with reports I think. (maybe already it is) Anyway, You're kinda right but you don't have to see context everytime If there is a message which hasnt fit to forum rules.

Agreeing that having a moderation staff is the best way to go -- the amount should of course correlate to the size/activity of your site (I see way too many new sites with like 10 moderators!), but having say one or two people keep a watch on each section makes it far more manageable (larger/more active sections having more people).

And of course, it's always important to encourage your users to help out too, by hitting the report button.

Or what do you suggest for this?
I believe community moderation is the future, and will get better as heuristics are written and learnt for this purpose.
As users report a post, if it receives a certain scoring from reports then it will be removed for manual/human review. The heuristics will weight user reports according to how long they've been a member, how much they interact, how often they report the post author, how often the reporting user is 'justified' by other reports on the post, how often the reporting user and post author quote each other and the language/tone they use in responding to their quotes.

The heuristics will ascertain and keep a rolling, 3 month sliding scale of the relevance and trust of a community member. And post reports will be weighted according to that relevance/trust and a post removed quickly or slowing according to how many reports it gets and the weighting that comes from those reporting it.

I believe community moderation is the future
Exactly. Not everyone 'reports' posts on my forum, but users are willing to mark posts as Inappropriate or Offtopic which carry negative rating points. If 50% of the ratings for the posts are negative, and atleast 3 negative ratings are attributed to the post, the post gets automatically hidden. This is done with post ratings addon which i have further customised to my liking. I believe there is also another addon where if 1(or more) people 'report' posts, the posts get hidden from being public.

Top Bottom