Man facing jail time for embedding video

grant sarver

HomelandSecurity.jpg
I feel safer already!

Brian McCarthy, the owner of channelsurfing.net, is now facing up to five years in prison after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) accused him of linking to copyrighted material.
The site linked to copyrighted material, none of which was hosted by the site or its owner.

Regardless the DHS, along with ICE took the domain, leaving this message:
This domain has been seized by ICE - Homeland Security Investigations, Special Agent in Charge, New York Office.

It is unlawful to reproduce copyrighted material, such as movies, music, software or games, without authorization... First-time offenders convicted of a criminal felony copyright law will face up to five years in federal prison, restitution, forfeiture and fine.

New York man faces five years in jail for ‘linking’ to online videos

I feel safer already!

Brian McCarthy, the owner of channelsurfing.net, is now facing up to five years in prison after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) accused him of linking to copyrighted material.......
Yes this is wrong, and yes I am totally against linking to copyrighted material. I will not allow it on my sites.

HOWEVER...... doesn't our Department of Homeland Security have anything better to do than stuff like this?? Like, maybe... securing our borders? Or catching terrorists?!?!
Our government is so screwed up.

Oh do not get me started......... :censored:

This mainly stems from a crackdown the NFL has been involved in of late about game streaming.

Here's a thread on it from my site while back. The sites just re-emerge in different form.

This mainly stems from a crackdown the NFL has been involved in of late about game streaming.

Here's a thread on it from my site while back. The sites just re-emerge in different form.

ya, was just going to reply. That site has been streaming NFL Games and anyone with half a brain knows that the NFL is freaking serious about that. I know first hand how serious the NFL is as I've been served by them for simply having NFL Team Logos on my site lol

ya, was just going to reply. That site has been streaming NFL Games and anyone with half a brain knows that the NFL is freaking serious about that. I know first hand how serious the NFL is as I've been served by them for simply having NFL Team Logos on my site lol
Wow, really? Logos? Never heard of that one. Onder why it's OK for fan sites to use them and you were served? What was their reason?

Strange laws and priorities indeed. These kind of things would actually make me feel less secure living in the States. Who doesn't link to copyrighted content once in a while? Who doesn't make a small mistake sometimes? Do you have to trow people in jail that easily? It seems more logical and better for everyone to give him a fine.

Wow, really? Logos? Never heard of that one. Onder why it's OK for fan sites to use them and you were served? What was their reason?

Dude, its NOT OK. You need written permission. I laughed at a couple vB site that got shut down prior to me... didn't laugh when I received the official letter. I know a lot of NFL related sites that got letters saying to remove official team/league logos.

Yeah, but he wasn't serving or hosting the stuff, just linking! The implications are staggering! If you link to material that someone lifted from someone else.

From the article:
The special agent detailed 17 copyrighted sports programs he was able to watch when he "clicked on links" at channelsurfing.net.
While the criminal complaint alleges that McCarthy did engage in the "reproduction and distribution" of copyrighted material, it is never clear that he actually reproduced any of the specified broadcasts.
"Under that sort of thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube video is a criminal," Demand Progress warned, calling the prosecution a "radical shift" in the way the government polices the Internet.

Dude, its NOT OK. You need written permission. I laughed at a couple vB site that got shut down prior to me... didn't laugh when I received the official letter. I know a lot of NFL related sites that got letters saying to remove official team/league logos.
Nice. Could be my affiliation with KLAC on why I have no blowback, but also I discussed it with the team a few years back and they were OK as long as I didn't try and make $$ off the logo.

Chris Creamer has the biggest logo site around and has for years.

There doesn't seem to even be the allegation that he was "streaming NFL Games". The agent in charge just says he "clicked on links on the site".

Nice. Could be my affiliation with KLAC on why I have no blowback, but also I discussed it with the team a few years back and they were OK as long as I didn't try and make $$ off the logo.

I'll have to find the letter and scan it for ya. I'll PM you :D I had to get a lawyer to resolve it.

So what about the big guns ??? like justin.tv or ustream.tv, places i go to watch all my soccer games... like the spanish league or the premier league. It's always the little people !!???
I've just uploaded a copyright logo of the NFL... is xenForo going to be shutdown for embedding a copyright picture???
1970+NFL+Logo.gif

So what about the big guns ??? like justin.tv or ustream.tv, places i go to watch all my soccer games... like the spanish league or the premier league. It's always the little people !!???
I've just uploaded a copyright logo of the NFL... is xenForo going to be shutdown for embedding a picture???

Trust me, I used to think it was a joke.. then I got served by the NFL and it cost me $$$$ to resolve it. Have YOU? Ask Kier what that is like. He'll tell ya just how real it is when it does happen.

As for your other questions, I know that the NFL regularly shuts down streams on justin.tv and they currently have a law suit against them. There hasn't been a decent NFL Stream on justin.tv for a few years now since the NFL started cracking down on sites stream and linking to streams. The best place (last season) to find decent streams was on channelsurfing.net (which is where I'd go to find NFL streams). The NFL was quick to shut most of those down last year.

Personally, I am a little peaved at the NFL, so don't think that I am on their side lol

DHS should change their name to Department of Broadband Security. Seems their recent work only involves enforcing corporate interests.

Ever wondered why DHS of all agencies is heading this operations? Probably the fact that they don't require much paperwork to seize property, and charge people, in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.

I mean ... that is ridiculous ...this whole thing...why homeland security? Department of Defense anyone? Why do we need two. For real...shame on you to all of the people who first are citizens before gov agents and don't question what they are doing. Defend a border or secure an arms silo or something. Matter of fact while your at it could you guys possibly provide a fiscal statement for what exactly your budget entails. I'm tired of being forced to comply with a non law derived from the never passed... so called income tax amendment and as an agency you should have to account for your expenditures.

Show me something more for my money than busting a guy linking to a server that ACTUALLY hosted the file. Stop threatening our citizens with the deafening silence of an indirect attack on a country by sampling an example citizen citizen to the world.

This is dirtbag psyops crap and I am sick of it, if your going to try to incrementally take away the rights MY (OUR) constitution promised me (every American) the day I (we) was(we're) born in this country...please do it in a way that's not so G*D-D*MN BLATANT... It is clear you are using a citizen who did nothing wrong as an example to show the need to facilitate control you don't need nor have the right to wield all for a cause that is against the better interest of the WORLD as a whole.

I can write off almost all of the dirtbag crap the obscure agencies do as for a good cause but when it helps less than 1% of the country's population and helps put the already powerfull on a pedestal I have to question exactly what DHS was assembled for. I'm sure that a hyperlink is equivalent to a terrorist attack in scope and CLEARLY needs Homelands IMMEDIATE attention...raise it to "terror alert yellow"<end sarcasm>

How many people here are in America and scared to post a link to something on a public site now?

Wikipedia definition of terrorism said:
Who is the terrorist now?

Anyone can play games this time I chose words...I just guess I'm disappointed that the people that worked all that way to get into power decided to make career moves and use their power to pervert the system that brought US, them included to where they are today.

?????? ?????: 1 - The People: 0
FAIL

I will not post anymore here either, I have said my piece

Top Bottom