Malaysian Air 17 - Possibly Shot Down By Missile

This conversation was boarding on absolute lunacy.

If you wish to discuss this tragedy, feel free. But whatever drivel I just read was exactly that, drivel. Keep things to the facts and realms of reality please.

Well, Russia has a habit of accidentally shooting down planes, unfortunately.

From 30 years ago.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ooting-down-south-korean-jet-during-cold-war/
That seems to happen with a lot of communist countries.... although even the US has had it's share of them. The USS Vincennes incident comes to mind pretty easily. The circumstances were a little different in that they were under gunboat attack at the time.

Main problem is it was a senseless loss of life. IMHO overflights of any combat area should not be done by a transport provider for just that reason.

Main problem is it was a senseless loss of life. IMHO overflights of any combat area should not be done by a transport provider for just that reason.

I imagine at the time the risk assessments were done, they didn't expect the rebels to have advanced surface to air missile systems, particularly ones capable of hitting a 777 at cruising altitudes.

IMHO overflights of any combat area should not be done by a transport provider for just that reason.

A few immediately got smart.

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

I'm like you Tracy, I don't understand why this isn't mandatory on all flights?

I imagine at the time the risk assessments were done, they didn't expect the rebels to have advanced surface to air missile systems, particularly ones capable of hitting a 777 at cruising altitudes.

True, but in this type of situation, you can't go off of what you can or can't expect. It's impossible to prepare for the unknown, so advanced precautions should have been in place.

Very unfortunate timeline of events.

Yep, the SA-11 is a somewhat "advanced" system even for it's age (the BUK system originated around '79).. but with all the talk about them being supplied with weapons by Russia it probably should not have been un-expected. Even if they had acquired them from existing UA facilities - or something similar that Ukraine had since there were several military sites over-ran - they should have issued an advisory notice.

And I've always been a firm believer in the maxim "Expect the unexpected".

Top Bottom