XF 2.2 Make some forums read-only for most but a few

creativeforge

Hi, we'd like to have some of our forums READ-ONLY, where all logged in members can view the section, but only a hand-picked can post in it. So they would be Read-Only for regular members, and Read-And-Write for people who are given the privilege to.

How could I implement this?

Thank you!

Andre

Set the post threads and replies permissions for the Registered user group for the nodes to No.

Set it to Yes for the user groups/members you wish to be able to post.

Thanks, so you mean we should create a new user group and give them the privileges, yes?

Or, set those permissions to No for all on these forums, and then to Yes for specific members only?

What about the Private Node option? I don't think t would show at all to others (read-only), correct?

b49f4eaa5af721bfcaa607e010c4d6d3.png

Last edited:
So, as a follow-up to this question, how could I make a specific forum read-only for users with less than X number of posts?

And can this be set to automatically unlock, when the milestone number of posts has been reached?

So - read-only UNTIL they reached a X number of posts? And automatically unlock when reached?

Many thanks!

Andre

No. You add a new user group as secondary user group to users with at least X posts.

You should never remove users form the "registered users" group and work with secondary user groups for extra permissons.
AH, Thanks!

Now, how do I make this work, where can I find step by step instructions on how to implement this? It would be my first time venturing into that.

Thanks a lot!

1. Setup the forums as you'd like.
2. Reject posting privilege settings for the basic "Registered" member group for the selected forums that you want to be restricted.
3. Create the additional user group that WILL have posting rights. (Example Below: "Users With 10 Posts")
4. Grant posting rights to the new group created in step #3 for the selected forums/categories.
5. In user promotions (./admin.php?user-group-promotions/), create a new promotion: Give it a name and select the promotion criteria (User has X number of posts)

1648545985348.png

Under the Apply this promotion while... tab

1648546028016.png

After you enable the promotion, when the cron job runs, it will auto promote people to the new group.
(This runs at XX:20, each hour)

1648546135244.png

Effect:
Any member that makes 10 posts will be promoted to the new group and gain the new rights that you have set in the new group.
(Reminder: The cron job runs once per hour, so it's not immediate unless you increase the interval of the cron job)

That's the simple way to implement what you're asking.

Related Docs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom