Mac OS X Tiger installation stalls at volume selection

AnthonyCea

Can you Apple experts help me ?

I have an old Power Mac G4 machine and the installation disk stalls at the stage where it asks what volume to install on.

There is no selection option listed in the interface and the install refuses to continue.

If it shows up on Disk Utility, though, then it's not completely dead.

Are you sure you've done a complete erase and used the correct file system? I just recently did several Snow Leopard installs on a couple of Macs that I own and I found that the OS wouldn't install properly unless the HDD was completely clean before the install.

It will not give me the option to erase either within the disk utility for some reason, it is no wonder folks give up on older systems.

On Tiger, there should be an actual "Erase & Install" option that you can access without using Disk Utility. Do you see it?

I wish I could see it, I have the DVD installation disk, but it does not seem to do the job, it seems to get stuck on every task, not highlighting the options it should.

Apple did say that one might have to update their firmware before an upgrade in the instructions, but I have no idea how to do this with a machine that is not functioning or one that is not online.

Hey Apple expert, thanks !!

I will try to switch around some memory sticks from one machine to the other and see if I get lucky, and try to install again.

Why the erase and install option is not listed is beyond me.

I know Erase & Install was an option with Leopard installation, and with Snow Leopard it was simply moved into the "Erase" options of Disk Utility, it might have functioned that way with Tiger, too.

Maybe Steve Jobs will will quit lurking here, join as a member and post the solution since he is not working full time any longer !!

Top Bottom