Looking for a new US host

NeoCHI

I'm currently using hostgator's dedicated server, but apparently their prices aren't that competitive. I'm looking for a good US managed hosting service to move my dedicated over.

Previously on the standard plan: http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated, looking for a dedicated with atleast 8 gb of ram.

I would suggest either XF Host or @Mike Edge.

I have personal experience with XF Host, and @Nights has personal experience with both XF Host and Mike, and they're both great.

I would suggest either XF Host or @Mike Edge.

I have personal experience with XF Host, and @Nights has personal experience with both XF Host and Mike, and they're both great.

Can't find the pricing for XF Host on their site: https://secure.xfhost.net/index.php
Also, I have a couple mybb forums aswell. Would they do well on this host?

According to https://secure.xfhost.net/announcements.php?id=1 it says Mike Edge oversees the companies day to day, but he now also has his own hosting?

That thread isn't only for managed.

Ok so, I've got it down to knownhost and Servint.

Can anyone tell my why Servint is soo much cheaper then knownhost?
Specifically looking at knownhosts dedi-cp2 compared to Servint's Flex Express v3 base configurations, I would get twice the RAM (16 vs 8) at an even cheaper price ($209 w/ 199 setup fee vs $199)

Their flex dedicated servers also sound nice since it would allow me to upgrade on the fly.

Last edited:
Also, just curious why exactly does no one use hostgator? Is it just because their prices are competitive?

Last edited:
Most people probably use unmanaged hosting.

Something like Linode or Digital Ocean, or other VM with SSD hosting setups (depend on your needs) are quite cheap and offer excellent performance.

Using pre-packaged VM templates or centminmod on a bare-bones setup makes it quite easy to get the OS setup.

Might want to add WiredTree to the list as well.

Why nobody uses HostGator? HG used to be a really decent company. They were bought out by a company called Endurance International Group (EIG), which is known for buying large, successful hosts, and running them completely into the ground. HG was purchased for around $1/4 Billion...yes...with a B. They don't care about the client, just about their investors and the bottom line, really. Everything that made HG decent went downhill (as predicted) within a couple months, including the "surprise move" one night of all the servers into the EIG datacenters (mainly Provo, UT) without telling anyone. In fact, not only did they not tell anyone, they lied about it when clients asked. They simply called it a "network upgrade" when they were asked to explain the days worth of downtime that was caused by the move. This is obviously worse for dedicated clients, who were potentially paying specifically for the old location, but even the shared/VPS users suffered, as the EIG datacenters are completely overloaded.

Either way, there were always allegations of HG not actually providing people with entire dedicated servers, due to their virtualized layer they run on the servers. It was rumored (and somewhat proved in resource logs, etc. from peoples' servers) that HG was actually putting more than one person on a dedicated box, making it really nothing more than a glorified VPS at dedicated prices. ServInt does the same thing, with the virtualization layer, but I've never heard such allegations with them. I just personally dislike the idea of running a dedicated server with a virtualized layer, but whatever.

It was rumored (and somewhat proved in resource logs, etc. from peoples' servers) that HG was actually putting more than one person on a dedicated box, making it really nothing more than a glorified VPS at dedicated prices. ServInt does the same thing, with the virtualization layer, but I've never heard such allegations with them.

I have a ServInt VPS with great results, as well as the support.

ServInt does the same thing? Have you hosted with them to know this? .. or just general internet reviews?

I have a ServInt VPS with great results, as well as the support.

ServInt does the same thing? Have you hosted with them to know this? .. or just general internet reviews?

No, no....I was saying that they (ServInt) DON'T do that. They DO have a virtualization layer on every one of their dedicated servers (you can see that right on their site), but they don't do the ol' HostGator switcheroo and put multiple people on that server. I was just stating that as another reason why people don't go with HG's dedicated servers very often.

No, no....I was saying that they (ServInt) DON'T do that. They DO have a virtualization layer on every one of their dedicated servers (you can see that right on their site), but they don't do the ol' HostGator switcheroo and put multiple people on that server. I was just stating that as another reason why people don't go with HG's dedicated servers very often.

I see now, thanks for the clarification!

Still wondering why Servint can be so much more competitive pricewise, specifically looking at knownhosts dedi-cp2 compared to Servint's Flex Express v3 base configurations, I would get twice the RAM (16 vs 8) at an even cheaper price ($209 w/ 199 setup fee vs $199)

They're actually somewhat closer than you might think, though yes...ServInt is perhaps slightly cheaper. KH's server comes with 2 drives and cPanel for that price. With 16GB of RAM, it will run you $249 a month (with the $49 setup fee).

At ServInt, you're looking at $209 a month with cPanel plus whatever the additional drive would cost. I doubt it's $39 a month, but it's still going to cost. I personally would never run a server with a single drive, and really can't advocate it in good faith, so you are technically looking at an additional cost there, to run their 2x500GB drives in RAID1.

Also at KH, they have a current special going that doubles the drive space (2x1TB drives), ups the RAM to 12GB, and waives the setup fee. So for $209, it's quite competitive compared to ServInt.

They're actually somewhat closer than you might think, though yes...ServInt is perhaps slightly cheaper. KH's server comes with 2 drives and cPanel for that price. With 16GB of RAM, it will run you $249 a month (with the $49 setup fee).

At ServInt, you're looking at $209 a month with cPanel plus whatever the additional drive would cost. I doubt it's $39 a month, but it's still going to cost. I personally would never run a server with a single drive, and really can't advocate it in good faith, so you are technically looking at an additional cost there, to run their 2x500GB drives in RAID1.

Also at KH, they have a current special going that doubles the drive space (2x1TB drives), ups the RAM to 12GB, and waives the setup fee. So for $209, it's quite competitive compared to ServInt.

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, why do you need two drives?

Top Bottom