"LOL" comes of age - added to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorWatsOn

Which is handy, because I caught myself saying it out loud in conversation the other day for the first time much to the amusement & dismay of those in my company at the time, now it's officially a word I can defend myself - lol.

"OMG! LOL's in the OED. LMAO!"

If you find the above string of letters utterly unintelligible, you are clearly an internet "noob". Let me start again.

Golly gosh! The popular initialism LOL (laughing out loud) has been inducted into the canon of the English language, the Oxford English Dictionary. Blimey! What is going on?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416
:D

tee heee heeeee

First time I heard someone say LOL I was very amused, but now I hear it quite a bit.

Me being an expert in the English language I am outraged that "lol" made it into the dictionary. I would have thought my longer version of "lol" aka known as my infamous msn typo of it "lolk" would have been a better candidate. :cry:

What does me in about this is they're not bloody words, they're abbreviations!

Abbreviation or a word - that's just splitting hairs, innit?

TBF (not in the Oxford English Dictionary), LOL, OMG & LMAO are actually all listed as abbreviations.

Whereas other abbreviations such as ASBO & AIDS are listed as nouns, AKA 'real words', whilst their origin are as abbreviations.

*Starts campaign to get LOL, OMG & LMAO upgraded*

Back in the 1970s the DJs on Radio Caroline [offshore pirate station] coined the word Anoraks to describe obsessive listeners that used to pay for boat trips to go out to see their ship and the DJs, because they were normally wearing anoraks as protection against the elements of the North Sea, and regularly referred to them as Anoraks 'on-air'. The word came into common usage to describe any group of obsessive people with unusual interests, such as train-spotting.

[2]British informal , derogatory a studious or obsessive person with unfashionable and largely solitary interests.

* EDIT - just noticed this post looks like Skimlinks have taken over - lol. :D

I know what LOL means; but, I usually accept it as a word describing state of a sudden surprise like GOSH or WOW.

Moms will finally stop txting their family members "Our daughter just died, LOL" assuming incorrectly it means "lots of love". So I think it's a good thing.

But it's of course beyond ridiculous that it's even being considered, since it is indeed an abbreviation.

What's next? MILF?

oh yeah...:confused: So what's a GILF? Grandmother, right?

You're a very sick man! :p :D

not so ..by that logic milf is wrong and should actually be MILTF.

Don't be a silly Billy, you can leave out a little word like 'to', but to leave out 'woman', under these circumstances, would make no sense whatsoever!

If MILF was defined as 'Mature I'd Like [to] F**k', it sounds like you have a thing for cheese! :D

You're a very sick man! :p :D

Don't be a silly Billy, you can leave out a little word like 'to', but to leave out 'woman', under these circumstances, would make no sense whatsoever!
Why would that be...mother is maternal and as far as I know only women can produce a child with the assistance of a man. I think it makes no sense to mention it because whether she is a mother, mom or mature woman all refer to females regardless. How many mothers or grandmothers do you know that are of the male gender :-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom