Lack of interest Login by email and *real name*

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Rodrigo Farcas

2 important features

1. Allow login by USER or EMAIL

2. Allow a "real name" feature, where a Username consists of:

username = first name + last name

This is really cool for trusted communities.

And it has impressive effects on SEO.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The user could just register with his/her name and as for the login by email, isn't that already a feature. It says enter your username OR email so im guess that's what it's for?

The user could just register with his/her name and as for the login by email, isn't that already a feature. It says enter your username OR email so im guess that's what it's for?

Its not the same to just use username. Real name means 2 input boxes for creating the user name: first name = field 1, last name = field 2: username = field1 + field2, everywhere shown on the site.

Why would you want to make things that complicated in the stock code? It sounds like a specialized need to me.

Trusted communities are growing fast. The best example: Facebook, Linkedin, etc.

I mean it should be an option to ask for both first and last time AND show that instead of username through all the places.

Can't be done without a special mod in other softwares.

This could be done pretty easily with some template modifications on the signup page, and a quick edit to the processing code (or use a hook). As you said:
PHP:
$username = $firstname.' '.$lastname;

Their real name would in reality still be just their username, but assuming they can't change their username just setting it up at signup like this would work fine. :)

a user's real name can't be used as an identifier, it's not guaranteed to be unique. forcing a user to use "Real Name 2" in a community is not a good idea ;)

Trusted communities are growing fast. The best example: Facebook, Linkedin, etc.

I mean it should be an option to ask for both first and last time AND show that instead of username through all the places.

Can't be done without a special mod in other softwares.

Usernames are unique. Real names are often not. That's why usernames or emails are used as a means to log into places, not something as common as a real name. Even Facebook uses emails to log in, not real names.

Usernames are unique. Real names are often not. That's why usernames or emails are used as a means to log into places, not something as common as a real name. Even Facebook uses emails to log in, not real names.

Username can be Real Name AND allow you to login by email.
That's how Facebook works.

I'm only saying the XF can have the ability to do that.

Its not the same to just use username. Real name means 2 input boxes for creating the user name: first name = field 1, last name = field 2: username = field1 + field2, everywhere shown on the site.

This would fall apart pretty quickly when you get to cultures which use a scheme other than First Name and Last Name for people's names. :) Some cultures have multiple last names, in some cultures the last name comes first, and a dozen other variants.

This would fall apart pretty quickly when you get to cultures which use a scheme other than First Name and Last Name for people's names. :) Some cultures have multiple last names, in some cultures the last name comes first, and a dozen other variants.

My full name consists of 7, but I shorten it down to 2-3 depending on where I'm at (Which side of the family mainly).

What happens if a person wants to register but someone on the forum with their real name is already registered? They'd be kind of screwed...

Top Bottom