Log device, OS, Browser on posts and display devices in Account Security

Alpha1

Just like IP's are logged with posts, it would be very useful to also log device, OS & browser.
Mobile use is so high, that almost any bug report, problem that users encounter need to be seen in the light of their device, OS & browser.
It would be extremely useful to be able to see a users device, OS & browser in the same way that you can pull up the IP on a post.

Another benefit of recording this would be that the devices could be listed in members accounts for security. This way members can easily see if their account has been accessed by someone else. This would allow members to identify and deal with security problems.

It could even be taken a step further and allow members to log out specific devices & block specific devices. (though 2FA can be used for the latter as well)

Upvote 25
Another benefit of recording this would be that the devices could be listed in members accounts for security. This way members can easily see if their account has been accessed by someone else. This would allow members to identify and deal with security problems.

It could even be taken a step further and allow members to log out specific devices & block specific devices. (though 2FA can be used for the latter as well)
IPB does the part.

2tNmc2r.jpg

Sessions manager with Sign Out/Device block options is required if this is implemented to get proper benefit. Suppose you logged in somewhere and accidentally checked 'Remember me' and can no more access that system. With Remote Sign Out, you won't get stuck.

I see zero reasons to keep this information. It doesn't help you or the user. Instead an option to submit a bug with the option to share browser, OS, ISP, IP, etc would be more useful.

I see zero reasons to keep this information. It doesn't help you or the user. Instead an option to submit a bug with the option to share browser, OS, ISP, IP, etc would be more useful.
From my own use, this is the key argument:
This way members can easily see if their account has been accessed by someone else.
Being able to list which device logged in / when definitely helps you defining if your account is compromised or not. This also helps to remove old devices from the trusted device list (i know it lasts only 30 days but still...).

You may be interested in this add-on?

Top Bottom