Lock Suggestion Threads

Ozzy47

Since it seems debating a suggestion is frowned upon, I suggest that only the thread starter can reply to suggestion threads they started, everyone else can either like the first post or move on.

Some debates go nowhere. What we know is that some people want some suggestions, and other people don’t.

Endless debates about such things serve little purpose other than to waste everyone’s time.

Really the only time wasted is of the people debating, and that sometimes is not wasted, you can sway a persons outlook on a feature. Either allowed discussion or don’t, simple. :)

Discussion is allowed. Pointless arguments aren’t. Same rules as every thread.

Seeing as you’re such a stickler for rules around here, you might want to familiarise yourself with rules 12 and 13:

If a moderator or staff member takes an action or posts a directive (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to this. If you discover a directive only after you’ve posted a message that contravenes it, delete your post or it will be taken to be ignoring moderators.

If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

I am not talking about anything in particular as you suggest, I am talking abroad in suggestion threads, as this issue has come up more than once.

Playing devil's advocate, the OP isn't a bad idea. Either people like the suggestion or they don't. The debates serve little purpose other than ruffling each other's jimmies.

Is ozzy47 a moderator here?
The only staff, including moderators, are listed on the staff page under Members, so no.

Playing devil's advocate, the OP isn't a bad idea. Either people like the suggestion or they don't. The debates serve little purpose other than ruffling each other's jimmies.
There's lots of valid conversation that goes into most suggestions. So conversation will be allowed so long as its only purpose isn't to ruffle each other's jimmies.

The only staff, including moderators, are listed on the staff page under Members, so no.
I think some have gotten the impression that ozzy is staff because of some threads that get closed where his message is the final reply and all the helpful links in his sig are usually a thing staff would do (like Brogan’s sig).

Suggestion threads I think need to have conversations, while some can get ugly most are useful and could be beneficial to the suggestion.

I think some have gotten the impression that ozzy is staff because of some threads that get closed where his message is the final reply and all the helpful links in his sig are usually a thing staff would do (like Brogan’s sig).
Perhaps. Not a lot we can do about that though.

Suggestion threads I think need to have conversations, while some can get ugly most are useful and could be beneficial to the suggestion.
Couldn’t agree more. If the conversation/debate has some value then we’ll let it pan out. Though we have a good sense of when a conversation/debate isn’t going anywhere or has little value overall to the merits of a suggestion.

What we don’t want to do is foster an environment that alienates people from wanting to post suggestions for fear of chastisement from other customers who may not agree. You may remember a thread on TAZ not so long ago where that very topic was discussed.

What we don’t want to do is foster an environment that alienates people from wanting to post suggestions for fear of chastisement from other customers who may not agree.
Which we do see quite a lot from those who are quick to claim "bloat" but then offer no valid argument for their claim. I would offer that numbers speak volumes. Let people vote on if a specific request is something they'd want. Discuss internally possible implementations. Come back to customers with result of internal discussion. Let customers discuss that. If 1,000 customers want a particular feature implemented, but 5 people are consistently vocal against it within a thread, that debate can't possibly be THAT useful for determining whether or not it should be implemented. Ultimately, the decision is always up to you all, of course. It's not a bad idea to revisit ways of doing things to see if you can improve.

Probably right though I do think a final reply by the staff who closed it would be helpful.
Much like StackOverflow which allows their moderators/community to choose a reason for the closure and then display a related message on the page.

Top Bottom