Add-on Location add-on: force users choose from a list of known locations worldwide

Wildcat Media

There used to be an add-on for XF 1.x that forced users to choose from a list of locations, rather than making up their own. We have an epidemic of members using it as a means of personal expression and/or trying to be clever, and the site owners (on various sites) do not appreciate this. This really needs to be a core feature, yet I've seen little interest in it. For big boards, this feature is a necessity--it takes a burden off of our staff, having one less issue to deal with.

I'm pretty adamant about having the add-on being supported in the future. I would need references of past work, and I will only consider those who have either been developing for XenForo for several years, or have established businesses working with XenForo who have a history of providing good product and service. In other words, I am not paying to have the add-on abandoned after it is delivered.

Additionally, if others are interested in this add-on, please feel free to respond here. Perhaps we can chip in together and spread out the cost, and the developer can add it to Resources here and license it to others.

1578012033476.webp

Such an add-on for XF 2.1 is currently been worked on. Will be released soon. ;-)
I'd be happy to beta test it. If it uses the existing Location field, that is what we are looking for. Thanks!

Is the Google data something we'd have to pay to access? In the XF 1.x add-on I tried, those lookups for busy forums would have cost us a lot to license usage of whichever database it used.

I'd be happy to beta test it. If it uses the existing Location field, that is what we are looking for. Thanks!

Is the Google data something we'd have to pay to access? In the XF 1.x add-on I tried, those lookups for busy forums would have cost us a lot to license usage of whichever database it used.

Our add-on won't work with Google, but with Geonames. It uses all the existing location fields in XF and can be setup optionally to require the selection of a location from the shown list.

We do not know currently if it will require payment to third parties or if we develop another solution, which may raise the cost of the add-on.

We do not know currently if it will require payment to third parties or if we develop another solution, which may raise the cost of the add-on.
If we have to "purchase" data from a database, that would not be a big issue. I remember with some data sets I looked at for a different project (with Google and/or Amazon, if I'm not mistaken), you were allowed a set number of accesses to the data per month, beyond which required payment. If it is rolled into the cost of the add-on, that is not a problem either--it actually may make using/maintaining it easier.

Top Bottom