Localhost showing blank forum

Lisa

Okay, so I use XAMPP to run localhost testsites for all sorts of things, including a testboard for xenforo.

Last night I thought I'd better get a testboard set up for my UrbanFantastic site - using a copy of the database. A pretty straightforward process I feel - get a clean db in place, the files, etc.. then import the backup into the empty database - ensure the urls are correct in the ACP and import the skin.

Now I can run a clean xenforo without any problems at all and I can install skins as well, but the minute I import a database, I can access the ACP absolutely fine, but the forum page is completely blank. Nada, nothing, zilch just empty space.

Ideas for this dilemma welcome :D

Double check the forum URL as when you import your database it will be using the settings from your live site and may be directing you to an invalid URL.

If you view page source is there anything?

Yeah, I've amended all the URL's. No errors show up. The ACP is accessible and completely useable. If you view page source there's nothing there. Just emptiness :D

Hmmm, interesting.
I've never had this issue with my localhost installation, also using XAMPP.

Have you tried restarting the Apache service?
Although it shouldn't be required.

Restarted Apache a few times (and rebooted laptop too)
No error log entries :)

I'd say it was a dodgy install but installing a clean copy of xenforo works perfectly. And I can use the ACP, it's only when I go to view the forum.

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
ini_set('display_errors', true);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
php_value display_errors 1

That may reveal an error message on the blank page.

Brogan said:
Long shot, but try enabling debug mode.
See if that gives you anything more to work with.

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
ini_set('display_errors', true);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
php_value display_errors 1

That may reveal an error message on the blank page.

okay, well that's a bit bizarre :D.. First I put the site in debug mode and nothing changed. So I turned off debug and added the code to config and now the forum is displaying perfectly.. yet two minutes earlier the page was not there!

Thanks guys :)

If you remove that code from config.php does the forum still show?
If not then there's still an error somewhere.

Try enabling debug and adding that code, it may show the error.

I think if I'd only just installed the testboard and had run into the blank page I'd agree. But I've been trying to sort this out for 2 days. I have imported the db three or four times with the same result each time so god only knows what went on there. I'm going to simply work on the theory that resaving the config file performed some miracle :D

Top Bottom