Loaned Money you never got back.

Reading all these stories of people borrowing money at work and then quitting just astounds me. You would quit a job because you owe someone some money?!

Reminds me of a true story of a friend of mine, who discovered thousands of $ worth of stuff had been purchased on his Credit Card, and it was eventually traced to a guy he worked with!!! WTF :o like it would never be found out when the guy was getting stuff delivered to his home address LOL

People really are weird.

Have you ever loaned money to somebody and never gotten it back?
I loaned Frank Sinatra $4000 one night when he was running low on pocket cash, and the next time I saw him the first thing out of his mouth was, "I'll bet you're lookin' for that four large, aincha?" I just said, "What four large?" because I knew that would piss him off. You see, Frank never forgot where money was concerned. Or I should say, where him loaning you money was concerned.

Once I saw him on the verge of being unconsciously drunk. He had downed two dozen Tom Collins', a trayful of Rob Roys and half a bottle of some 375 year old French absinthe. He was nodding off with Angie Dickinson on his lap and a young Bob Dylan in the corner playing the harmonica and juggling grapefruit. Sammy Davis Junior stumbled over and took 7 or 8 thousand dollars out of Frank's money clip, and it didn't look like Frank even noticed. I thought he was out cold. But 4 1/2 years later we were rolling dice upstairs at the Nugget and Frank - without even looking at him - sticks his hand out and says to Sammy real casual like, "Hey, Bojangles, gimme the $7,850 you owe me from that night at Ava Gardner's bash." All Sammy could do was laugh. They Jilly Rizzo stepped up and Sammy handed over the cash.

The 4 grand I loaned to Sinatra though, he paid back. He was always good about that. But there is a guy who still owes me $8 from last week when we went to Chipotle for lunch and he conveniently "forgot" his wallet.

Always gift. Never loan.

There is shame involved in asking for money, so people call it a loan to avoid that shame. Once you empathize with that position then you can relieve the person of their shame by offering the money as a gift so they don't have to ask for a handout or lie about being able to pay it back. Empathy is the key.

I'm going through that now. Loaned $500 to my dad. He was supposed to pay half on 10/22 and half on 11/05. I've seen him a few times since and he hasn't said anything to me about it. I hate to bring it up but I suppose I have to. I don't need the money but he doesn't know that. For all he knows it could be putting us in quite a jam, that's a lot of money to some people.

If he needed more time paying it back that's fine but I really resent the fact that he's acting like it never happened.
The last (and only other) time I loaned him money he gave me a post-dated check which bounced. He borrowed $590. One time I was over there he handed me a wad of money. Got home and counted it and it was $500. Never heard anything more about the remaining $90.

Oh, and there was the time he asked to borrow $600 to pay for my brother's reception dinner and never paid me back.
Geez, I need to quit loaning this guy money.

I suppose I'll call today and ask for the $500 he currently owes me. The rest I've written off. I didn't care too much about it before but now that I have a wife and child I see it as not just taking away money from me but them as well.

I think you need to either stop lending him money, or accept that it is a gift you will never get back... very hard when it is family I know. :)

Always gift. Never loan.

There is shame involved in asking for money, so people call it a loan to avoid that shame. Once you empathize with that position then you can relieve the person of their shame by offering the money as a gift so they don't have to ask for a handout or lie about being able to pay it back. Empathy is the key.
I very much agree with this.

I loaned Frank Sinatra $4000 one night when he was running low on pocket cash, and the next time I saw him the first thing out of his mouth was, "I'll bet you're lookin' for that four large, aincha?" I just said, "What four large?" because I knew that would piss him off. You see, Frank never forgot where money was concerned. Or I should say, where him loaning you money was concerned.
That must have been before I saw him.
I was hanging with Sinatra, Pavarotti and Buddy Rich back stage on some road cases at Radio City Music Hall. (Actually, I was.)
I think he would have mentioned the story.

LIIIIIAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR lol
Funny coincidence. Recently, I was waiting for my bus, and this dude comes up to me and asks for a dollar. I had 5 dollars, not with ones, I mean exactly that. 5 dollar bill. So, I told the guy at first I didn't have any money, he keeps insisting, then I felt sorry for him and tried to keep him calm. Its 8:40 and the bus arrives at 8:43 / 8:45 depending on the day. I told him I don't have one dollar bills, I have a 5 and I don't want to risk going to the nearest shop and asking for a change (most employees are busy, so I have to wait a minute just to get the change). He says I can do it for you. Yeeaaa...Not falling for that one. Seconds later, the bus is right there. I knew it.

Now, when I get off, AS SOON as I get off....He asks AGAIN. But this time, he's asking for more than 5 bucks because of a taxi. Taxi in my area usually charge either by the hour or by the mile.

Guess what he said after I said I don't have money for that ...."LIAR"

You know what dude. "#@^& you."

Top Bottom