Living out of my Toyota Tacoma, full-time, while traveling North and South America

We're in "deer country" also. In fact, we still have an overpopulation, and it's not uncommon to see deer in some of our outlying suburban areas regularly. I've had two close calls, and that was enough for me.

We're in "deer country" also. In fact, we still have an overpopulation, and it's not uncommon to see deer in some of our outlying suburban areas regularly. I've had two close calls, and that was enough for me.
Danged things are very quick also. One minute you don't see them and the next second they are right in front of your vehicle. (deer in headlights look)

I live in the North end of my city in an area that was farmland until about 30 years ago. There is also a small valley that is an "environmentally protected zone" (kind of one step below a conservation area here) just West of me where the deer and other wildlife are often found.

One day while driving my son to a friend's house at the other end of the neighbourhood, a doe and fawn ran across the street not far in front of us. And apparently neighbours saw them on our property one time when we were on vacation.

Danged things are very quick also. One minute you don't see them and the next second they are right in front of your vehicle. (deer in headlights look)
The only thing quicker, it seems, are squirrels. The three I've, ummm, encountered over the years didn't live to tell their sides of the story.

I live in the North end of my city in an area that was farmland until about 30 years ago. There is also a small valley that is an "environmentally protected zone" (kind of one step below a conservation area here) just West of me where the deer and other wildlife are often found.

One day while driving my son to a friend's house at the other end of the neighbourhood, a doe and fawn ran across the street not far in front of us. And apparently neighbours saw them on our property one time when we were on vacation.
When I lived across town, the houses across the street from us backed up to a protected wetlands area, so we had an assortment of critters in the neighborhood. (It was a protected "greenway" surrounding the river on both sides.) And the deer would follow the river and show up in some of our neighbors' backyards. I had frogs, a garter snake, even ducks in our backyard, but the worst was a groundhog that ate the entire garden right down the ground, and burrowed a hole so far underneath the deck, against the house, that the entire deck in that area would have needed removal to fill in the hole. (I moved not too soon after, for other reasons.)

We're in an opposite area now. That house was in former farmland. This one, sure, was probably farmland at some point, but we're a mile from a smaller lake in the Great Lakes chain, so what we lack in other critters, we gain in migratory birds and other water-based living beings. (The worst are the fishflies/mayflies.)

Top Bottom