Litespeed and cache, yay or nay?

KnownHost. Blimey, that is inexpensive!

I am not sure what my bottlenecks are. But one I have considered is DNS delay, so I was thinking maybe DNSMadeEasy might help. What do you think? As I understand it, it acts a bit like a CDN where the POPS are spread around.

You have obviously done a lot of all this speed tweaking yourself! It is one of the more enjoyable aspects of running my forum.

I think the loading of CSS is done upfront, as my CDN does not cache that, I believe. I wondered if Redis helps with that.

I use CloudFlare for DNS, never tried a premium DNS service. I think the savings would be mere milliseconds.
CloudFlare can cache CSS is you add a page rule for css.php* - as for any other CDN, I'm not sure. Redis won't cache it.

Google values TTFB and I think a premium DNS might help with that metric. A well known blogger called Neil Patel did an analysis and it showed a high correlation between very low TTFB's and high Google rank. It was more correlated than page load time.

You might find the article interesting: https://neilpatel.com/blog/does-speed-impact-rankings/

I am using BunnyCDN. It is pretty cheap. I keep hearing about CloudFlare, although I am not sure how significant it is for speed. I know they have a ton of POPs.

OMG I have some juicy reading to do. :D

I am not sure what DOM loading is but I assume the article will cover it.

Could you please explain what bottleneck is and how to see it?

It's hard to say. You have to check many things like MySQL slow query log, settings for your web server, is caching set up, is your hardware good enough, etc.

Enable it in my.cnf

Code:
slow_query_log = 1
log-slow-queries = /var/log/mysql-slow.log
long_query_time = 2

Create the file and make sure MySQL owns it

Code:
touch /var/log/mysql-slow.log
chown mysql:mysql /var/log/mysql-slow.log

Restart MySQL and check the file later.

Would you still say litespeed and LSCACHE will have a speed impact on a small forum with only 3000 visitors per day if it is installed on a server with 256 GB RAM an Octa-Core Skylake W Hyper-Threading CPU and ultra fast HDD?

I consider to buy a license, but not sure if it will have a huge impact.

Would you still say litespeed and LSCACHE will have a speed impact on a small forum with only 3000 visitors per day if it is installed on a server with 256 GB RAM an Octa-Core Skylake W Hyper-Threading CPU and ultra fast HDD?

I consider to buy a license, but not sure if it will have a huge impact.

I re-enabled LSCache on my XF site last week, and while it benefits primarily guest-users traffic/posts did increase a bit. I'm not really sure if it was because of Lightspeed though, could be just a sway toward a less-depressed userbase.

My site is image-heavy (bikers like pics). If I was an great at tweaking nginx and other items on my own I'd probably get similar results; depends on which battles you want to take on ;)

Thank you. I have tried to get someone on the desk to optimize our server but either they don't work with Plesk or they simply not respond to PM's !

It is a nightmare if you don't know what to do and no one want's to help, we pay money not rice.

It is a nightmare if you don't know what to do and no one want's to help, we pay money not rice.
There's your problem. Between COVID-19 and the global economic downturn, many people no longer trust western currencies and would rather be paid in rice.

What is it you are trying to optimize?

I try to get a CenOS server with Plesk installed optimized for our forum.. it is running with NGinx and also works fine.. but still I believe there are ways to optimize the server.

Two of the Gurus around here took a run as soon as I told them Plesk was installed :D I think it is a sign, but on the other hand it is a dedicated server with root access, it may still be possible to do some sort of optimizing. For instant PUSH notification slow down the first post a user does.. I think for someone know what he is doing it is easy.

I have very limited experience with either nginx or Plesk personally but if you're not currently experiencing you might just want to forget asbout generic optimizing and request help with just specific issues like the PUSH issue. And start a new thread to do that.

Have a look at this thread:

yes he is one of the guys that don't want to work with plesk :D

I will try to start a new thread.

Yeah I don't blame him. These stripped down control panels are okay for a managed VPS but I wouldn't want to be stuck with one myself.

Top Bottom