List of larger forums with just color / EXTRA.CSS changes

Marcus

A great idea to keep update hassles down to a minimum is to not change the style at all. Currently I know one forum of this kind:

forums.digitalpoint.com

Do you know more forums that rely 100% on stock style and only add/change it by template from addons?

All eight of mine are stock XF with colour/logo changes to give them their own identity; with CycleChat being the biggest amongst them @ 2.5M posts.

Having struggled (or had to pay) to upgrade fully customised themes with other forum software, as well as having them broken by core updates, I decided that with XF I would limit the changes to CSS styling and very minor template changes so as to minimise the impact as the software evolved (minimal add-ons too for similar reasons). (y)

Mine's not big but it's just SP changes and EXTRA.css additions.

With 1.2 though, issues are much less reduced due to the template merging and template modification features.

All eight of mine are stock XF with colour/logo changes to give them their own identity; with CycleChat being the biggest amongst them @ 2.5M posts.

Having struggled (or had to pay) to upgrade fully customised themes with other forum software, as well as having them broken by core updates, I decided that with XF I would limit the changes to CSS styling and very minor template changes so as to minimise the impact as the software evolved (minimal add-ons too for similar reasons). (y)

Are you aware that your advert breaks the layout on an ipad? The top advert is too wide and overlays the sidebar, blocking the sign up button.

A lot of what's done in EXTRA.CSS can easily be done in Style Properties. Get to learn the Style Properties system very well you won't regret it. Most of my site's only changes is in Style Properties and Extra.css (which mostly just covers the customization of other addons).

Top Bottom