XF 2.1 Links to restricted by members profiles return 403 error

Anatoliy

I understand that probably I'll get the answer from xF team: "403 is not an error but a returning code, and that's how it is designed", but I still will try.

Following a concept that 2xx is a good returning code and 4xx & 5xx are bad, I'd like to find a way to get rid of all the links (403) from threads and forum views pages to members profiles who restricted access to their profiles. Would be appreciate for any idea how I can do it and what direction to move.

Solution
This would require custom code.

Personally, I'd just deny guests access to member profiles, disallow /members/ via robots.txt, remove that directory from google index and be done - there usually isn't any valuable content in user profiles.
In a User Profile under Privacy I can see options that a member can select:
View this user's profile page details: Nobody, All visitors, Members only, People a member follows.
Can I set it to everyone as "All visitors" and remove somehow this option from users profile options?

This would require custom code.

Personally, I'd just deny guests access to member profiles, disallow /members/ via robots.txt, remove that directory from google index and be done - there usually isn't any valuable content in user profiles.

Last edited:
Solution
Following a concept that 2xx is a good returning code and 4xx & 5xx are bad, I'd like to find a way to get rid of all the links (403) from threads and forum views pages to members profiles who restricted access to their profiles. Would be appreciate for any idea how I can do it and what direction to move.
Your assumption is incorrect. In fact, Google recommends 4xx codes and John Mueller has repeated this advice on several occasions.

5xx codes on the other hand are server errors. Thise need to be fixed. Consult your host.

Top Bottom