1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Linking to an account without the ID

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by zaiger, Mar 5, 2012.

1. zaiger

zaiger Active Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, move it if you must :)

I am trying to create a mediawiki template to link to our forum users, but I can't figure out how to do this without the user ID's. Here is what I am trying to do:

<includeonly>'''<span class="plainlinks" style="white-space:nowrap;">[[File:lolgo.png|14px|link=http://forum.myforum.ch/members/{{{1}}}]] [http://forum.myforum.ch/members/{{{1}}}/ {{{2|{{{1}}}}}}]'''</span></includeonly><noinclude>
    Indicates a link to an [[EDF]] post.
    '''<nowiki>{{ EDF | username | description }}</nowiki>
    # '''username'' - the number of the user
    # '''description''' (''optional'') - replaces the user name with your text
    <br />
    '''''Note''''': remember to remove all whitespaces (except for the ones in description) and put everything in one long line, otherwise it might get broken.
    produces:<br />
    <br />
    <nowiki>{{EDF|example2|Some random user}}</nowiki>
    produces:<br />
    {{EDF|example2|Some random user}}
    Any way I can link just the user name without having to have the ID as well? I looked unsuccessfully for an addon to parse usernames in url like:

instead of

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe of including a search URL instead of a straight link to the userpage, but I couldn't figure it out.
  2. zaiger

zaiger Active Member

This is the important part, the rest is just usage explanation, I need a way to make that work without the user ID, or another way to link to a xenforo user without the ID. You would think it would query the db for a matching user on request but it doesn't :(
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The id is required. You need an addon to implement what you are trying to do.