XF 1.4 Link in Profile Attracting Spammers - Can I set permission for this somehow?

Donny

I appear to be getting foreign humans registering to the forum and posting links in their signatures. They're passing spam prevention systems. When I ban the user and clean them up as spam, their link stays in the profile.

Can I set permissions for his per usergroup? I can't seem to find anything.

You can't prevent links being posted in profile posts. However, you could disallow newly registered users from making profile posts via permissions and then set up a user group promotion so that after a few forum posts and/or time they are promoted to a group that can make profile posts.

They were posting the link just to their actual profile not in a profile post sort of thing. But I'd managed to find another thread that said basically what you suggested and have stopped newbies from editing their profile.

Not a cool work around. I do like them to edit their profiles when they register as they tend not to bother in the future or notice when their permission change etc but perhaps a notice or two setup well can encourage that at a later date.

Thanks for the speedy response. :-)

I love XenForo for that. I wish I could help others more myself!

I'd suggest that you use a Notice that appears to users once they are promoted to the user group where they can edit their profiles. You can encourage them to complete their profiles in the notice and even post a link to it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

It just becomes a bit of a notice and user group related mayhem then though. Seem to have to do this for a whole bunch of stuff. Never had so many usergroups before.

It'll work for now.

It'd be cool to have a permission that says 'enable link in profile - yes or no' but I'm not sure how complicated that would be to make and keep future proof.

Top Bottom