"Likes" as currency - for virtual goodies :)

CTXMedia

An out-of-nowhere idea that just struck me - so I'm writing it down.

(Not intended for here - the XF official forums - more an idea for people running XF boards).

A mod that gives people a virtual shop to spend their "likes" in. Stuff like special avatars, group badges, higher PC limit, access to special forums, etc.

But instead of spending cold, hard, cash - you spend "likes".

Something that will hopefully encourage the use of the "like" button and cause people to be more helpful in general (to get likes).

Hell, this may already be in the offing somewhere, but wanted to suggest/share it in case anyone else thought it had any merit?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I like the idea, instead of add-ons that will have virtual money or points, they could just hook directly into what's already there... the 'likes' system.

It would, as said above, promote the use of the like button and bring even more social aspects to the forum/community, but it could also have a negative impact on the system in terms of abuse, which I'm surebcould be sorted out with minor limits, etc.

But, this method would be easy to "crack".
Register some new accounts, give your oginal account as much likes as you want and you have "unlimmited" money:D

But, this method would be easy to "crack".
Register some new accounts, give your oginal account as much likes as you want and you have "unlimmited" money:D

I'm sure there are ways to stop that sort of behavior happening, maybe... you need to be registered for x days and/or have y amounts of posts? All these could be configurable within the add-on.

The idea is great, it allows for the existing 'likes' system to be used for even more than it currently does. There wouldn't need to be another points or currency within the forum, so it would keep with the whole XenForo being simple model.

Great idea, I'm sure the community as a whole could come up with more ideas surrounding it.

+1.

Top Bottom