XF 1.5 Lightbox configuration / image enlargement

Bill Stuntz

Is there a way to change the way lightbox operates? The only option I've found is whether to display all images on the page, or only the images in the post.

We display all images in posts as 250px expandable thumbnails, with stored images up to 1600x1600. What I'd like to have happen is that EVERY click on ANY image ANYWHERE on our message board will display a larger view of THAT image if a higher resolution view is available.

Desired photo display resolution sequence:
  1. Click on thumbnail -> opens lightbox with "best fit" showing entire photo with no scroll bars & tiny thumbnails at bottom, usually limited by the HEIGHT of the image. That's what happens now.
  2. Click on that image in the lightbox -> best fit limited by WIDTH of image, still in lightbox with only vertical scroll bar & the tiny thumbnails. I DON'T want a click on the image in the lightbox to display the NEXT image, as happens now. I want the SAME image to get bigger. To see a different image, they should need to click its tiny thumbnail or a next/previous arrow to cycle through the images.
  3. Click on that wider light box view -> fill browser window (without lightbox or thumbnails) best fit of entire image with NO scroll bars, & magnifying glass cursor. It's probably limited by the height of the photo, but the photo height isn't limited by the lightbox borders/captions/thumbnails.
  4. Click magnifying glass on that "full window" view -> display full resolution image (larger than screen) with horizontal and/or vertical scroll bars to see maximum available detail of any area of the photo.
  • At any level above, if the photo is already being displayed at its full native resolution onscreen, don't bother to display the same resolution in a larger window with more dead space. Only go to a higher resolution view if the visible detail can be increased. For instance, a 640x480 image shouldn't need to go past stage 2 on a 1920x1080 monitor, and a 1280x1024 photo might top out at stage 3 or maybe stage 4 if the user has a lot of browser toobars or some such. Additional clicks on an already full resolution image should be ignored.
I KNOW I've seen a message board somewhere that handles images that way - but I haven't been able to find it again. I should have bookmarked it, but I didn't. And I don't have the foggiest notion of how to make it happen.

That would require custom development.

I KNOW I've seen a message board somewhere that handles images that way - but I haven't been able to find it again. I should have bookmarked it, but I didn't. And I don't have the foggiest notion of how to make it happen.
I FOUND IT - Wikipedia does it EXACTLY the way I want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Address
Click on ANY photo to see how I want it to work on our message board.

Can XenForo do it that way?

P.S. I just downloaded Brogan's "Float" BB Code - I've been looking for a way to do THAT, too. THANKS Brogan!

Top Bottom