LED Monitors Kick Arse

A lovely picture, just for you. ;)

View attachment 714
I gotta say... I'm not a big Apple fan. But what I do like about them is, you get illustrations like the one above. And you think "oh yeah, nicely rendered 3D painting". But then you see the thing in the flash, uh I mean flesh ( :D ) and it DOES look as good as the illustration makes it look. Gotta love that, even if I can never afford it.

Heh. Working from home it's all one and the same. :)

@Been Told: I totally hear you on the cost of Apple hardware. We bought my wife's Mac Pro on Ebay, spent a long time looking for a good deal and finally got one with 14 GB of RAM, 2 dual core processors ATI Radeon HD 4870 and full copies of Aperture 3 and Final Cut Express (software that we actually needed for some of the content creation we do). It's still under Apple Care warranty support too :).

Once we had it and I got a chance to open the case up I was even more impressed... The engineering inside the case is absolutely top notch. Would we have bought the Mac Pro and iMac as personal machines? Prob not, as they were pretty expensive, but as business expenses it made sense, and we've been able to do things with them that we couldn't before.

One thing that is under appreciated in the newer iMacs is the power consumption. My old dell tower used about 500 watts including monitors etc. That works out to be about:
500 (watts) * 14 hours a day (conservative estimate of how much I use it between work, netflix and playing games etc) * 340 (days used) * .19 (cost per KWH) = $452.20 cost
Keep in mind that it would often be left on overnight to handle large processing tasks like video processing etc.

By comparison my iMac uses about 130 Watts all told which gives a yearly cost (all the above remaining constant) of 117.57 for a yearly savings of about $334.62. The iMac actually uses a lot less than that estimate as it hibernates VERY reliably, so I have no problem keeping it setup so it powers things down then hibernates after fairly short periods of inactivity. So the total savings is probably a bit higher, always depending on the cost of electricity ATM.

Anyway, that helps make the cost of the machine a bit easier to bear :).

Can't really see, but 226BWs? I'm sitting in front of one too. :) Pretty nice screens when they came out, but kinda getting old now.
Yep... we were going to progressively upgrade it all within the IBM range, but instead we are shifting to purely mac. So now we are progressively shifting everything out for imac instead... which is actually cheaper to pay $3k for a 27" i7 imac with LED, than buy system, twin monitors, cabling, blah blah blah... add a second 27" to that equation, and even under $5k is pretty damn good for a high end system that will last a long time again.

One thing that is under appreciated in the newer iMacs is the power consumption.

And that is another reason we are shifting to macs as well... the bonuses when reviewed in total just smash the IBM model to pieces. Just getting rid of all the monitor cables and extra power cords will be lovely once we are fully mac. The wife is holding me back pretty much from doing it all now... as I must also be sensible at the same time and progressively sell things off and replace, though we also have a huge investment in the current systems which we are only coming around to being about 3 years old, and with some minor upgrades already.... and selling off on ebay will fetch next to nothing for it all, so I must accept to get a bit more use from it and slowly switch out to mac.

I have been tempted to get into machines and break them as an excuse to the wife... but she would know what I had done damn it... :mad: I wouldn't be able to hold a straight face to her.

What I am really looking forward to is replacing, as example of current setup, systems:

IMG_2239.webp

Wifes corner alone:

IMG_2240.webp

All replaced with:

img_imac.webp

And....

img_timecapsule.webp

I seriously need to take myself outside and apply 10 uppercuts for being so so ignorant to apple until now!

Top Bottom