Least expensive offsite backup for 100GB

Sonnie

Looking for the least expensive offsite backup for about 100-200GB.

Something that can backup all of our home directories and databases on our VPS on a continual basis... or maybe twice daily.

I don't think that will work... bandwidth is limited to 1000GB... so if I am backing up 100GB... I can only do it for 10 days.... not 30.

I've got offsite backup through my host and my server. It comes in handy at times. It's pricey ala cart, but as part of my server bundle, it is not bad. Might want to see if your host has this service.

They don't... but they do offer offsite backup every other day for free... just not dedicated backups. Our only option is to increase disk space, which would require stepping up to a dedicated server because we are already on their largest VPS plan now.

I don't think that will work... bandwidth is limited to 1000GB... so if I am backing up 100GB... I can only do it for 10 days.... not 30.

If you're transferring the entire 100GB every single day, you're doing it wrong. Ideally, you should only be transferring the changed files, otherwise you're going to be looking at 3-6 TB per month. That's going to be a lot for a backup service.

It's also unclear how many backups you are planning on retaining. 7 days worth of backup retention and you're looking at 700GB to 1.4TB of disk space. That's considerable. At that point, you really are looking at a small dedicated server, as even most large VPS are not going to have that kind of disk space.

If you transfer the changed files only, and are only planning on keeping 1 or 2 backups, for example, that's quite doable at a decent price.

Probably just a couple of back ups would be fine... and incremental would be fine... did not think about it that way, but good point. It might actually work after all.

Probably just a couple of back ups would be fine... and incremental would be fine... did not think about it that way, but good point. It might actually work after all.

That's definitely the way to do it, otherwise it's going to become unwieldy in disk space and bandwidth. Assuming this is for a forum, there will be very few changed files on a regular basis. It's largely just going to be the database and new attachments.

So Backupsy was very up front about not really catering to our needs, so we are still looking if anyone has any other recommendations.

These guys seem reasonable if you're wanting another cheap alternative:

I send roughly 25gb per day to an AWS/S3, retain three images, and my bill is less than $2 per month. No incrementals.

Each backup image includes some data that is more than three days, such as server configs and database dumps, but the files themselves are three days. Working on a new server now and may end up increasing the number of retained images.

Have a separate storage service in the data center where the file retentions are greater. No incrementals there either.

When it's needed I just want to be able to grab a backup image and go, lack of patience I guess ;)

Top Bottom