1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Largest File that i could upload ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by aiman.h.kallaf, Apr 26, 2012.

1. aiman.h.kallaf

aiman.h.kallaf Active Member

I'm wondering about the largest file size that i can upload ?
    and is there any downloading manager addon

2. Floris

Floris Guest

Whatever your OS, webserver, php, and MYSQL has configured for the timeout settings, and file_upload values, etc.

aiman.h.kallaf likes this.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's configurable in the software:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Attachments -> Maximum Attachment File Size (KB)

Also, here are some server settings that may be limiting:

PHP:
    max_execution_time
    memory_limit
    post_max_size
    upload_max_filesize

MySQL:
    max_allowed_packet
    max_packet_size
    wait_timeout

4. aiman.h.kallaf

max allowed packet 16,777,216
    max binlog size 1,073,741,824
    wait timeout 45

are these good values

5. Jake Bunce

What is the largest file size you want to be able to upload? That determines the values of the server settings.

6. aiman.h.kallaf

i have nothing in mind right now
    i'm just wondering in case i had any idea in the futures

7. Strong

Strong Member

I'd like to be able to upload something like 20mb. I have root on a VPS and I've changed all the values for php so I should be good there. I'm frantically searching for how I can config MySQL to cooperate. I hate seeing that all of my uploads fail. I use whm/cPanel and I can't seem to figure out where I can do that.

Anyone got any good pointers?

EDIT***
    Ok, so I made php.ini show post and upload variables reflect 50M
    Changed my.cnf (for mysql) to reflect 50M for max_allowed_packet
    I've even set ram for php to wide open..

There wasn't a choice for max_packet_size which I'm assuming is because not every MySQL installation is of the same version.

So I've got php and mysql reflecting 50m uploads and uploads greater than 4 or so mb still fail un relentlessly. Even after a system reboot. ACP also says 50mbs. I'm running out of options where I can specify a larger attachment allocation.

Anywhere else I can check to see what I can do to increase attachment sizes?

8. Jake Bunce

Is there a specific error when you try to upload attachments? Anything in the log?

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log

9. Strong

Strong Member

Nope... Nothing in the server error log. I haven't checked the raw apache logs though.

10. aiman.h.kallaf

the maximum file i was able to upload was 12 MB , though i was hoping for something like40 MB

11. Jake Bunce

Ideally there will be an error logged somewhere, and that error will tell you exactly what limit is being exceeded.

12. Strong

Strong Member

Tell me about it.. I'm really shocked that I can't figure this out. I have a local installation at home that seems to have no problems but I can't figure out what is limiting file sizes on the public server. Local installation handled a 20mb file with no issues.