1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large VB 3.8 Board > XenForo ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Rodrigo Farcas, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Rodrigo Farcas

Rodrigo Farcas Active Member

Hello there!

I am currently analizing where to move a "big board" from VB 3.8

Alternatives
    a) To VB 4.1
    b) To XenForo

Please give me your comments, pros, cons. on each alternative.

-Also, I want to know if there is a safe way to import data to XenForo, without the timeout concerns. Does the import routine works via command line?

-Finally, if I move to XenForo, what will happen with vBSEO'ed URL's?

Thank you all!

2. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

There is a beta version of a command line installer but even if the browser timesout it does so gracefully and picks up from where you left off. I test converted out VB3.7.x board and it did timeout a few times but it finished to completion fine.

I'd definitely recommend moving to XF over VB. We bought a VB4 license on the promise of an integrated CMS, new features, etc but none of it arrived so we've stayed on VB3.7 for the past few years. We'll be moving to XF shortly as it's much faster and less bloated than VB and most importantly gives a much better user experience/engagement.

If you want cons for XF, the ongoing lawsuit is something that might put people off but it's something that most seem comfortable with.

3. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

What is "big"?

I moved last Months with 1.6 Mio Posts from vB4 / with vbseo. There exists redirections Scripts to prevent 404 Errors.

4. Rodrigo Farcas

Hello Hoffy!
    How did you import the data? Did you lose any organic traffic with the VBSEO redirections?

Thank you!

5. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

I did an import of a 10m+ post vB4 board into Xenforo 1.0.x in August (see my sig for details).

At the time there was no command-line import but even so the import went pretty smoothly (if a bit slowly). With the later tools, it should be faster and even more reliable.

We weren't using VBSEO so I can't comment on that side of things but can say that redirection from vB4 URLs worked well (once I'd sorted out in my head how it was working) and we didn't lose any significant traffic.

Best advice is to do practice runs with a copy of the big site if you possibly can, have a test system where you can try out all the add-ons you might want, redirections etc.

And if it's a big site you'll want to look at the new Xenforo Enhanced Search as the MySQL-bases search will struggle with a large postbase.

lazer likes this.
  6. Rodrigo Farcas

Hello Lazy!

This new search is already available?

7. Andrej

Andrej Well-Known Member

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/development-update.25726/

8. lazy llama

lazy llama Well-Known Member

Almost.
    Next week according to the message quoted above.

At the moment the Sphinx add-on does not handle all of the search options available in 1.1.x, so the new search will be essential for big boards who want to run the current version of Xenforo.

9. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

I imported the Data with a personal modified importer. There exists Tools that create Rewrite Rules you can use with the vbulletin redirections avaiable here in the forum.

10. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

One question mark for me is moving all of the custom user fields from vB 3.7 over to XF. The big board I may move makes heavy use of the custom user fields; having everyone redo them will only upset the natives. ;)

The big board search is exciting! We use Sphinx on vB 3.7 and it is worlds better than any MySQL-based search. I'm glad it's finally here, as that was one major hurdle to upgrading. (iTrader was another, but XenTrader has now been released to replace it, and will take imports from it.)

Our server is pretty much at its limits now, so moving to vB 4.1 is out of the question. I've read of how much more resources it takes. Granted, using XF on this same server will only buy us time until we need to upgrade, but I think everyone will enjoy the move for its other features.

11. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, you can import a vb3 board to xenforo and keep the thread id's intact which will make it even easier to do 301's.

ie:
    vb3: mysite.com/board/vbseo-catagory/vbseo-titlted-url-25838
    xen: mysite.com/board/xenforo-titlted-url,25838

12. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

Custom user field imports are handled in XF:

custom fields.png

As for the server, moving to XF will probably ease the load, even when moving from vB3.8. Like you said, in time it might still be neccessary, but at least you would buy time to properly investigate :)

13. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

That's a relief with the custom fields!

As for investigating, I know what's wrong with the server: we've just simply outgrown it, and we really don't have the resources right now to look at upgrading. We could actually, but it'll be tight. Our MySQL hard disk is at or near 100% i/o activity. Just the move to XF alone for the more efficient queries would really help us. We already run Sphinx (which aside from installing APC a few years ago, was one of the more amazing resource savers I ever installed).

With XF in place and a fresh server, I think we'll do nicely. Now I just have to convince everyone else!

14. Rodrigo Farcas

Hello,
    So what's the code to handle this? I am concerned as I get MUCH search-engines traffic wich I don't want to lose at all.

Thank you!

15. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Actually XenForo doesn't keep the same ids like said above. It keeps a log of oldId and newId which you can use to redirect. There are scripts that do it for you. Basically it simply sees an old URL, grabs the oldId from it and matches with the newId and redirects.

16. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Kier released a scripts that will 301 redirect MOST of your old thread urls to the new thread urls. Check the addon forum...

17. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

Direct them to the free admin demo available on the XenForo site, so they can give the product a whirl from the administrative sitde as well.

It's outperforming vB in every possible way. Less queries, leading to less stress on the disks, and just lots of other smarter solutions.

18. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Err except one... vB is way better at bloat!

Rudy likes this.
  19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Since 1.1 it does.

ids.PNG

SchmitzIT likes this.
  20. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Oh, I wasn't aware. That would explain some code I saw in the importers with 'retain_keys' breaking a custom importer. It all makes sense now!