Laptop f...ed up

Ray

My laptop had been acting weird for a few weeks, didn't pay much attention to it. Today, while playing a YouTube video, the screen flickered and something started to smell like it was burning, a few seconds later, the laptop died.

Unfortunately, I don't have any important documents backed up. :( I'm guessing the hard drive is fine(replaced it a few months ago). Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know what's the best way to recover these files. All my login details are stored in that hard drive and reseting them all is gonna be a pain in the *#&^@. :mad:

My laptop had been acting weird for a few weeks, didn't pay much attention to it. Unfortunately, I don't have any important documents backed up.

With online backups either cheap or free .... there is no excuse to not backup.
2 Gigs of backups free ... www.dropbox.com - they will even do 30 days of file versioning for free.
My suggestion is that you put your important documents in your dropbox, and your less important files elsewhere.

Hard Drives are designed to die.
They always do.
It's just a matter of time.

I agree with Fufu, Very handy indeed

imgres.webp

Hope the Hard drive is OK.
If it's not clicking it should be OK.

It might be just the power supply.
Not sure about laptops, but in desktops, Power Supplies frequently die, and often smell of burning.

What I would do is first get the HDD out and copy it, then if the laptop is out of warranty open it and look for burned parts. But beware most PC laptops are hard to repair and taking them apart is easier than putting them back together ;)

Top Bottom