Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

naia

Forum Name: Kinmunity
URL: https://www.kinmunity.com/

Kinmunity is an online community resource and forum for otherkin, therians, vampires, the other-hearted, and others with non-human identities.

I welcome critiques on the look and feel of the forum, but not on the niche itself.

Please do not register to the forum if you are uninterested in the niche, you should be able to critique it without registration.

Interesting forum - design is somewhat plain considering the subject matter; perhaps a more Gothic type theme would be better suited. Something to search for or tweak the styling of the existing theme.

I found navigating the forum reasonably swift, but perhaps a few tweaks could improve the speed - can you upgrade to PHP7 and implement OPcache? That added a major speed boost to my own site. If your host provides it consider CDN with Railgun, that should enhance the speed too.

The blog section is nice, but the way that day circle has been implemented was always a source of annoyance to me lol. A few tweaks to the CSS file can change that significantly (at least for me it does) and tidy it up a bit.

.entries .entry .datetime {
position: absolute;
font-size: 18px;
color: #bdbdbd;
background: #414141;
-webkit-border-radius: 50%;
-moz-border-radius: 50%;
-khtml-border-radius: 50%;
border-radius: 50%;
width: 60px;
height: 60px;
margin-left: -70px;
margin-top: -19px; (change this from -10px)
text-align: center;
border: #737373 1px solid;
line-height: 28px; (add this)
}

Changes this:
upload_2016-8-2_7-17-0.webp

To this:
upload_2016-8-2_7-18-29.webp

All in all a very unique and different site - good luck with it and keep it rolling.

:)

Interesting forum - design is somewhat plain considering the subject matter; perhaps a more Gothic type theme would be better suited. Something to search for or tweak the styling of the existing theme.

I found navigating the forum reasonably swift, but perhaps a few tweaks could improve the speed - can you upgrade to PHP7 and implement OPcache? That added a major speed boost to my own site. If your host provides it consider CDN with Railgun, that should enhance the speed too.

The blog section is nice, but the way that day circle has been implemented was always a source of annoyance to me lol. A few tweaks to the CSS file can change that significantly (at least for me it does) and tidy it up a bit.

.entries .entry .datetime {
position: absolute;
font-size: 18px;
color: #bdbdbd;
background: #414141;
-webkit-border-radius: 50%;
-moz-border-radius: 50%;
-khtml-border-radius: 50%;
border-radius: 50%;
width: 60px;
height: 60px;
margin-left: -70px;
margin-top: -19px; (change this from -10px)
text-align: center;
border: #737373 1px solid;
line-height: 28px; (add this)
}

Changes this:
View attachment 138540

To this:
View attachment 138541

All in all a very unique and different site - good luck with it and keep it rolling.

:)
  • Users like the current theme. It's clean and not too "in your face". Overengineered themes tend to introduce more problems than the look is worth.
  • We currently use PHP7. I will look into implementing opcache. Did it result in a significant speed increase for you?
  • Awesome idea for the blogs CSS. I will likely implement it this week. Thanks!

I understand what you mean about the design; it's really a subjective issue, but if your users love it, you're doing the right thing.

OPcache upped the speed of my site by a factor of 5; it really is worth implementing.

Welcome to the CSS - I love playing around with CSS to see what can be achieved; sometimes it works other times it changes some aspect of the site unknowingly until it comes to light and then it's back to the drawing board. I'm a stickler for precision too, if something is a pixel or two out it bugs me (OCD for CSS lol).

;)

Forum Name: Kinmunity
URL: https://www.kinmunity.com/

Kinmunity is an online community resource and forum for otherkin, therians, vampires, the other-hearted, and others with non-human identities.

I welcome critiques on the look and feel of the forum, but not on the niche itself.

Please do not register to the forum if you are uninterested in the niche, you should be able to critique it without registration.
Hey @Shiro,

I think the site is great! Clean, simple, and VERY mobile friendly. Also has a very unique niche audience I see.

Really curious to know what bridge you're using for Discord. I don't think I've seen it implemented so well before on any other website.

Top Bottom