Kinda nervous to upgrade to 1.1..

1.1 Release

• Total voters

Vicros

I have a few great add ons along with some custom templates that I'm really nervous about doing over again lol. I know that comes with every release of software but still sucks. I just hope a few of the things i have added will come with 1.1 so it'll save me some edit time. Any one gonna wait a lil bit after 1.1 releases or are you guys just gonna jump right into the upgrade?

I would think that anyone with active site will have a copy of their live site to test the upgrade before going live. It seems no matter which forum software, people make the same mistake of not testing or at least evaluating the changes in a major revision before deploying.

If you can't have a test site, then just wait a little and at least get a good understanding of the changes.

Lastly, I think there are a number of people sitting on the fence, waiting for 1.1 before bringing up a new site. (myself included) For everything I've done on a test site, I'm curious to see how things will transition. I predict it will be smooth though...

Definitely doing a test site first. But once that is good, it will go onto all my production sites asap.

When I saw this thread, I thought 1.1 was released and this was the discussion thread.

Well, that was 5 seconds of joy, haha.

Anyway, I sometimes jump to the upgrade if it's a small forum. If it does not work out, there's always backups.

If it's a forum with activity, I either wait or test the upgrade on a test board.

Posted from my blackberry.

You don't have to wait.

Sandbox your site and test the upgrade ..
Repeat steps until kinks are worked out and you're comfortable enough to upgrade your live site.

It sounds like we're experiencing a certain trauma induced by a certain El Segundo Based Firm..

You're kidding right? Anyone that runs a large site, no matter what software, should be testing new stuff before rolling it out to a live production site. :P
It doesn't cost anything to have a test or as Floris said, a sandbox, for your live site and could save many headaches. :)

Testing and preparation should not be induced by 'trauma' or 'fear' but simply an execution of best practices. :D

You're kidding right? Anyone that runs a large site, no matter what software, should be testing new stuff before rolling it out to a live production site. :p
It doesn't cost anything to have a test or as Floris said, a sandbox, for your live site and could save many headaches. :)

Testing and preparation should not be induced by 'trauma' or 'fear' but simply an execution of best practices. :D

Testing and preparation is a must do in any software environment, especially prior to deployment, but it should never bring any feelings of nervousness, trauma or fear.

Staging Server/Sandbox + Automatic Function Tests (with selenium or livetest ( https://github.com/phphatesme/LiveTest ) are IMO a must for BIG boards:p

Even before you install a add-on on the live system, i would test it on the test system...

It's really time consuming to set it up + create the necessary tests, but once you have it, it will save sooo much of your time (and money because you won't have unnecessary offline times without an income:D )

*facepalm* I thought 1.1 was here :( Ahwell it will be worth the wait.

I will be doing an upgrade on my test board on my local pc then upgrading my live forum :)

Test to make sure everything works on my test site. Update any templates as nessecary. Download the amended skin, upgrade main site and install updated skin :)

Looking at updates so far I have every confidence that it will be as clean an update as the rest even if it is a feature release. Quite looking forward to it.

It seems so far everyone is at least going to wait a small time frame which is expected. Fortunately or Unfortunately for me, I haven't had an active site since 2007 when i shut i down. It seems when you do that you never really get ur user base back, what a bummer but i still keep making new sites, mostly for fun lol.

Top Bottom