Jury Duty

DRE

I've got Jury Duty tomorrow. Have any of you ever had to do this before? How long will it take? Court's boring.

I've been called for jury duty probably 10 times. I swear I must be the only registered voter in our small town of 30,000. It's always different. The likelihood of you actually serving is slim. They seem to always reach an 11th hour deal. Did you call the automated answering system to see if the case is still on the docket for jury trial?

I've been called for jury duty probably 10 times. I swear I must be the only registered voter in our small town of 30,000. It's always different. The likelihood of you actually serving is slim. They seem to always reach an 11th hour deal. Did you call the automated answering system to see if the case is still on the docket for jury trial?
Yes I did a an hour ago and I'm still scheduled. What's an 11th hour deal?

*googles*

Employers are not allowed to fire an employee for being called to jury duty; but, they are not typically required to pay salaries during this time.[11] When attended, potential jurors may be asked to serve as a juror in a trial, or they may be dismissed.

My poor pay check. :cry:

Yes I did a an hour ago and I'm still scheduled. What's an 11th hour deal?

He means that they may settle before it goes to trial.

I've been a part of a couple of juries and I find it to be cool.

The first time I went, I was nervous. But, here's what happens. Generally, you wait in a giant waiting room until your number is called. Then, you go with that group of individuals whose numbers were called and they talk to you for a bit. They explain a bit of the process and then walk you towards the actual court room. From there, you sit for a bit until both lawyers come and then they start to ask questions to see how you think about certain topics and such. When they determine the jurors they want to keep, they call your numbers and you either are selected for the jury or not. If not, then you are dismissed and your day is done. If they do, then you wait in the same courtroom and the trial gets started shortly thereafter.

Like I said, it's a little nerve wracking the first time only because you don't know what to expect, but it's kinda cool when you know that you are a part of it all :)

If you are allowed, take something to read with you.(I don't think electronics like eReaders are allowed I suspect however) everyone I've ever talked to about the actual act of Jury duty all say it's really booring, there is lots of waiting.

They are only just now telling me I wasn't supposed to post about Jury Duty lmao. Guess I'll stop replying in here for now.

Top Bottom