jQuery Complexify (Password Strength Meter) [Deleted]

Lukas W.

katsulynx submitted a new resource:

jQuery Complexify (Password Strength Meter) - Integrates the jQuery Complexify Library byDan Palmer to XenForo registration and password change

jQuery Complexify Integration (Password Strength Meter)
Description

jQuery Complexify is a free jQuery plugin to evaluate the strength of a given password. Using this addon will extend your XenForo installation to show a password strength meter under the password inputs on user registration as well as password change.

ysZdKqz.gif

Read more about this resource...

Unfortunately it count characters, no matter what they are. I can type aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and I'll get the green colour of strenght bar.

Unfortunately it count characters, no matter what they are. I can type aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and I'll get the green colour of strenght bar.

Isnt that the point; One would think the more char you input, the more
complex your password should appear. I would think common sense
would be not to use aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa as the password, and
the same goes for using your phone number, ss# or common password
strings, even though the addon still may indicate they are complex....
I would think common sense should kick it at some point.

However, I understand the point you are making, in theory,
the more jumbled, and length the password, should be
show to be more complex, but how is the addon going
to account for every password string? easy, hard, or
even a password like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
You would have to program the addon to indicate,
hey, this is silly, this password is too simple...

Actually a password strength is mainly its length and the typeset you use. It doesn't really matter if you use an A or Z, only if you use numbers or special characters. A normal brute force attack either starts with a given pattern of the words the user is likely to use for his password or starts with x characters in length and then just tries all of them until it matches. You can - however - set the jQquery Plugin into ban-mode to support a list of passwords or subpatterns in passwords that will return 0% safety when used in a password.

Understand, I just recall some add-on from phpBB years that was checking characters and had many options to suit your needs. But not sure which one was it.

Otherwise it's nice add-on, don't get me wrong.

What do you want to do exactly? If it is about styling, you need to edit the "jQueryComplexify.css"-Template. Other than that, there's not much to do as it works by itself.

This could have multiple reasons. Have you uploaded the script correctly? If yes, please provide me with a link to the website where I can check the installation (no account required).

Top Bottom