1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Joining a Group by Petition

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by tekboi, Aug 4, 2014.

1. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

How can I go about getting users to join groups by checking a box in a custom field? For example, my website deals with gamers. I want people who are primarily ps3 players to be able to click a "PS3" checkbox and automatically be put into a group. I did this with ProBoards before, but have no clue how to go about it with Xenforo.
  2. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

You would need a custom add-on to do this.
  3. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

Well is there a way to at least display an image in the users post bit or something using the petition?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can achieve this with a custom user field (checkbox) and a user group promotion, utilising the custom user field.
    tekboi likes this.
  5. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

So, i've been experimenting for a while. And it looks like the method you've mentioned @Brogan works for new members who join, but it doesn't seem to work for existing members who are already a part of the forum.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It shouldn't make any difference.

The promotion will apply equally to all members.
  7. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

Okay, I see now. It is joining them to the group. But I have the usernames styled to be a certain color for a certain groups. And for some reason that doesn't change unless I re-save their profile settings through the Admin Panel. Weird.