Joe's Place

Davyc

Well, it's taken me a while to get the site the way my members want it to be - we started out with SMF way back in January of this year, moved to vBulletin around May and now this last month I took the plunge and went for Xenforo; best move ever.

Joe's Place is a fansite for the UK 2009 X-Factor winner Joe McEdlerry - this young man is a force to be reckoned with; not only is he an incredibly versatile singer, he's also a very down to earth genuine person. He is Patron to and supports relentlessly The Teenage Cancer Trust. Recently winning yet another TV music competition - PopStar to OperaStar - he was signed by Decca/Universal records after being dropped by his original label Syco. His current album - Classic - went Gold after two weeks and he is currently still in the UK top ten albums chart after 6 weeks.

The members on my forum range from teenagers to grannies and they all get along just fine for the most part.

I've tweaked many areas of the forum to get it to where they want and understand what's going on and how to use various features - very few of them are technically minded so changes and new ways of doing things often present difficulties for them.

I've incorporated a few add-ons the major ones being Xen Media and Xen Attendo by Jaxel and the User Albums by Pepelac; there are others but they're mostly minor (but still very useful) or behind the scenes add-ons.

The style is Whisper by CyberAp and I've made very few changes to it.

The biggest changes (non add-ons) have been in the Phrases, changing descriptions to something more meaningful for my members (i.e. Start Conversations has been changed to Private Messages as they understand that more lol).

So here I am opening the doors to a new world of music for everyone and a can of worms for myself for comments and criticisms lol - I take everything on-board that anyone says and see all comments and critique as positive. So please do go take a look and let me know what you think.

The forum is located at http://www.geordie-joe.co.uk/forum

There is a set of home pages which I'm in the process of updating to match the new forum look, but if anyone is interested you can look at the current set here http://www.geordie-joe.co.uk

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

:)

Very nice style, the only thing I didn't like was the rather large picture in the top - steals too much space, imo.

I agree, I'd cut the height in that area by at least 50%. Something else I don't like is the huge amount of white space in the post area. This often results in just 2 lines of content being displayed if there are two consecutive one line posts. I'd cut down the height of the user block considerably.

Other than that it looks pretty good :)

joe_mcelderry_1_1.jpg

My blood pressure just dropped 12 points just listening to this video
http://www.geordie-joe.co.uk/forum/index.php?media/joe-mcelderry-over-the-rainbow-classic-mov.67/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks everyone for the comments - I'll be taking a look at the positive comments and see what I can do to make adjustments to make it look more compact and tidy; it's always great to have a fresh pair of eyes looking at your work so that improvements can be made.

@ Digital Doctor - this is the effect that Joe has on everyone; and once you find out more about this young man you can't help but admire him and at 20 years of age he is the perfect role model.

:)

Top Bottom