1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 JavaScript in Templates to modify variable?

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Peace, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Peace

Peace Active Member

I'm trying to change og:image in RM to use the Resource Icon, so FB previews display the icon instead of the forum logo on RM. I've got that working fully by modifying the open_graph_meta template:

<xen:if is="{$resource}">
        <xen:if is="{xen:helper resourceiconurl, $resource}"><meta property="og:image" content="{xen:helper resourceiconurl, $resource}" /></xen:if>
        <xen:else />
        <meta property="og:image" content="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" />
    Now I have one last issue. The Resource Icon URL has a query string after it, which Facebook doesn't like. We don't need cache-busting on the resource icon anyway (we never change them), so I'm trying to find a way to get the URL with query string stripped out.

I know how to do it in JavaScript, but that's client side, so it's probably not going to even work. Can you think of any ways that I can get the Resource Icon URL without query string in a template? Thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. Peace

Peace Active Member

This question was dumb in so many ways, it was even dumb because it wasn't needed! Facebook doesn't care about query strings, they cared about me providing a URL with no domain (like data/icons/0/123.jpg instead of http://domain.com/data/icons/0/123.jpg).

Dumb case solved... :) If anyone else happens to be using a similar setup, setting og:width and og:height helps too.