1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've created a monster

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by swampfox, Sep 21, 2011.

1. swampfox

swampfox Member

Have a thread on my forum with nearly 400K posts, I would like to delete it as the storage limit on my hosting account is nearly maxed out, this is partially due to the database size doubling when I switched to XF, but either way, it needs to go

problem is, I cant, memory limit error every time I try, can soft delete it, hard delete, merge parts into another thread, nothing, its just too big

any suggestions?
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  2. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

Wait for Jake to come along with a SQL query that will delete the thread via the thread ID, or send him a message.
    Peggy likes this.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Move to a better host and keep the thread :D
    Puntocom and Kim like this.
  5. swampfox

swampfox Member

might do that, I cant even delete 1 post in that thread, memory limit error
  6. swampfox

swampfox Member

trying to increase the limit myself failed, I figured as much, will have to contact the host, or move to a new host without disk space limitations
  7. swampfox

swampfox Member

finally got the host to increase my memory allocation, and also edited the application.php file to increased the memory limit within XF

now Im getting this message

any advice? I really need this thread gone
  8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

max_allowed_packet is a MySQL setting. Your host or server person needs to increase that limit.
  9. swampfox

swampfox Member

Thanks, Ill see if they will increase that
  10. swampfox

swampfox Member

no luck, apparently trying to deleting a thread this size throws a massive query, Im not sure the server Im hosted on can handle it lol
  11. principia

principia Well-Known Member

12. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Delete 400K posts? Posts are what makes your forum look alive! Invest in better hosting instead!
    Puntocom likes this.