Duplicate It's time to XenForo modernize his social features: Clubs/Communities for XenForo

deslocotoco

Well, i don't know if this suggestion is already posted around here (the search system for thread title don't give me any clue about it), but this is my suggestion and i think that should be considered.

XenForo already mastered the Forum system, no doubt, i always say that in many others specialized places. Is the best software available with a great community, specially with great developers, official or not.

But some features beyond the Forum are missing, and many in terms of "modernization" of the social experience.

We already know that we lost a lot of users to social networks and i don't see many solutions around here to keep up the pace.

My suggestion is the ability to create social communities by the users, would be a game changer for the XenForo experience. Can be even an paid add-on, since is a very particular feature that I'm willing to buy without a doubt.

Some competitors have this feature (Invision for example), creating a unique experience for the users, without the interference of the administration.

They can create "subs", like reddit, fully managed by the users. Imagine that: offering a place that a user can create it's own community or club, with their own rules and aspects.

Some of the features are the visibility (public or private), monetization systems and some flexible customization.

It's time to XenForo keep up with the improvements, specially with the social innovations that we don't have.

Thanks all for your attention.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't agree.

Forums are forums.

Social media is social media.

They have different purposes, different proponents, different target audiences.

Don't try to emulate one from the other. It never works well.
Tell that to Reddit my friend.

Unfortunately if we don’t see the times changing we are going to stay behind.

Forum works. Dot. I know. But we can use social networks to improve what’s is working since 1980 and doesn’t need to be mandatory.

Decentralizing content into subs requires a massive user base that doesn't exist on 99%+ of all forums. I hope Xenforo works on features that impact as many as their clients as possible and not ones that can only be used by a tiny percent of their customers.

Yes and no. Depends on the niche. I do have an idea how i could use clubs on my own forum. However the forum must be busy. As someone mentioned, members will be more focused on clubs than main forum.

The problem I see with this is it will encourage cliques to go off and do their own thing ignoring the main forum which in turn will become a lot quieter
Well, if your site doesn't give them the functionality they want, they'll just make their subforum on a Discord server or another forum so you might as well host them on your site.

Decentralizing content into subs requires a massive user base that doesn't exist on 99%+ of all forums. I hope Xenforo works on features that impact as many as their clients as possible and not ones that can only be used by a tiny percent of their customers.
Agreed.

But the sub forums content could be seamlessly integrated into parent forums such that it would matter that the sub forum even exists except for the people that go to that specific sub forum.

Well, if your site doesn't give them the functionality they want, they'll just make their subforum on a Discord server or another forum so you might as well host them on your site.
Why?

Serious question. If some users don't want to be part of the wider community, why host them at your expense?

Ozzy47 has a Groups mod which from what I’ve seen works well.

Top Bottom