It'd be greatly helpful if default template changes are provided in ".diff" files per each XenForo version update.

ShikiSuen

Somehow I cannot figure out how XenForo automerges those outdated templates, hence my preferences of reading a diff file and perform manual updates towards the CSCN theme I made and maintained.

Till now, what I do is to follow these steps:
1. Read the XF update announcement to see what templates are modified in the new version.
2. Go to the AdminCP (of my local XF dev instance) and manually copy the old templates into text files managed in a Git repository.
3. Upgrade my local XF dev instance and go to AdminCP to manually copy the new templates into text files for a new git commit.
4. Use my git client to see the differences.
5. Manually synchronize the differences towards my CSCN Anniversary style.

I have ADHD and I think that I am just bad at coding, so the entire process has lack of efficiency.
That's why I think that it'd be greatly helpful if default template changes are provided in ".diff" files per each XenForo version update.

You can easily create a diff (either for the whole templates.xml or for individual template.html files if you generate development output) if you keep your development instalation under version control (GIT, etc.)

To generate development output:
cmd.php xf-dev:export-templates

As XenForo would skip XenForo Core and official Add-ons you will also need to put
PHP:
$config['development']['skipAddOns'] = [];
into config.php

Last edited:
I check each entire XF updated into a private git repo which makes generating diffs much easier.

That said, I wish XF would support directly storing a site's template history into a local gitrepo rather than the current solution.

You can easily create a diff (either for the whole templates.xml or for individual template.html files if you keep your development instalation under version control (GIT, etc.)

To generate development output:
cmd.php xf-dev:export-templates
Easy for you maybe! :)

You should make this a suggestion.

This thread was submitted to the suggestion sub-forum.
However, a moderator moved this thread to the current sub-forum.
The suggestion forum is for suggestions you'd like us to make in the core software. This thread is more of a request to change how we build the download for the software so doesn't really apply.

Top Bottom