XF 2.1 Issues registering new users

We recently upgraded our forums to Xenforo 2 and I'm glad to say it was a relatively seamless upgrade even though we have a deep integration with our CMS.
So far, so good... until today when we discovered that new users are not able to register:

Some registrations are going through, but only a fraction of them. So we got to investigating...

• We have already tried: disabling all add-ons, using the default XF templates, using bare registration options in the CP, and removing other potential variables.
  • This is the weird behavior we are seeing...

1) If you try to register using an incognito browser (no cookies, etc.), registration won't work in Chrome (Windows and Mac). It will simply reload the page upon submitting.​
2) If you try to register using an incognito browser (no cookies, etc.), registration will work in Safari, Edge, and Chrome on Linux​
2b) If you use that same browser window. Logout, and try to register a new account, it will reload the page upon submitting. And registration won't work unless you close that window and open a new incognito session with no cache/cookies.​
We were able to replicate some of this (though on/off) in Xenforo.com, too.

Any ideas on how we can troubleshoot this further?

As far as I know enabling cookies is a must for Xenforo to function properly especially when it comes to registration and logging in. So this behaviour is expected.

Pretty sure incognito browsers use cookies, they simply get wiped off after you close the browser window.
Now, let's say it's not an incognito window, because we tried it all.

Regular browser window (Chrome, Opera, Firefox), same issues. I was just trying to make a point that we removed variables by using a clean browser every time to run these tests. Driving us nuts as you can imagine 🤯

Have you disabled registration through the ACP>Options prior to upgrading?
No registration knob is available on your forum, so enable registration again.

ACP > Options > User registration > Enable registration

Most likely related to server caching - something like varnish.
We are using Varnish, and we used it with XF1 without a problem.
We have excluded these URLs from varnish caching but I would appreciate if you can tell us if we're missing others?

/community/login
/community/register
/community/connected_account.php
/community/index.php?register

Also, most importantly. As part of our troubleshooting steps -- ahead of opening this thread -- we took Varnish down and tested directly on the App server. We saw the same erratic behavior as described on the first post above.

We would love to get some support here, unless we are missing something really obvious (again, this is not just Varnish since we've tested with and without it on TechSpot).

Case in point, we've recorded the same bug on Xenforo.com:

1) After logging out, trying to register a new account does not work. Doesn't show an error message either, it simply reloads the page with an empty form.
2) Unrelated bug but also shown here, sometimes the log out link does not work properly, browser sits there doing nothing. If you refresh the site you will be logged out, but that's not proper behavior.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just followed the exact same steps and had no issues - a new account was registered.

If it's happening on multiple sites to you then it's something local to you (browser, ISP, etc.).

We would love to get some support here, unless we are missing something really obvious (again, this is not just Varnish since we've tested with and without it on TechSpot).

Case in point, we've recorded the same bug on Xenforo.com:

1) After logging out, trying to register a new account does not work. Doesn't show an error message either, it simply reloads the page with an empty form.
2) Unrelated bug but also shown here, sometimes the log out link does not work properly, browser sits there doing nothing. If you refresh the site you will be logged out, but that's not proper behavior.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

because you are not logged out correctly
look at the red message above

2019-10-16_16-13-43.webp

Well, it makes sense you would think that. But that recording came from my developer running Linux. I've had the same happen to me on macOS. And then you have users complaining about the same bug on TechSpot, wherever they are located.

Just tried on Windows + Chrome here on Xenforo.com. Same bug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom