Is this dedicated server good enough to upgrade to?

surfsup

For 500k+ page views per month..

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 4 x 3.3 GHz
12 GB DDR3 ECC
120GB SSD (Primary)
120GB SSD (Second drive)
1TB SATA (Third drive)
RAID 1
100 MBPS Uplink Port
15 TB
CENTOS 6
PHP 6.0

• Plan Price per month:

$322.80
  • Plan Price after six month: (per month)

$178.90

Last edited:
My main concern is the uplink. It's a bit dated for a busy site. Its 100 Mbps rather not MBps. 12.5 MB/s divided among several hundred users and guests. It's alright if the load is stretched over a period of time. But those 300+ users online right now hit you at the same time they are getting a grand total of 40 KB/s each. Its fast enough for just the forum but terrible for loading files, attachments etc.

My main concern is the uplink. It's a bit dated for a busy site. Its 100 Mbps rather not MBps. 12.5 MB/s divided among several hundred users and guests. It's alright if the load is stretched over a period of time. But those 300+ users online right now hit you at the same time they are getting a grand total of 40 KB/s each. Its fast enough for just the forum but terrible for loading files, attachments etc.
So should I go with 1 GBPS Uplink Port ? Will this resolve that issue, because we do email blasts once a week to 16k subscribers and see about 700 ppl online at once when we do so. Or what do you suggest?

And I'm not a server king, haha.
By the way with that server specs that should be fine for your traffic.

So should I go with 1 GBPS Uplink Port ? Will this resolve that issue, because we do email blasts once a week to 16k subscribers and see about 700 ppl online at once when we do so. Or what do you suggest?

Most people will never come anywhere close to saturating a 100mbps port, but because gbit ports are out there, people seem to think they're needed. Eh...whatever. Our hosting servers, for example, have gbit ports, because we saturate 100mbps ports all day long. But for a single forum? Doubtful you're going to come anywhere close to 100mbps. You can always upgrade if you need to. Otherwise, you're just going to be wasting money each month.

Glad someone chimed in. I wasn't sure. I figured it would be fine for the forum itself. But if the load was heavy in serving up files I would be a bit worried as it might make the server appear to be a bit slow to respond. Definitely not worried about sending emails though lol.

I am used to serving up Android firmware in loads measuring near 1 TB per hour. Never could do that at 100 Mbps.

For 500k+ page views per month..

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 4 x 3.3 GHz
12 GB DDR3 ECC
120GB SSD (Primary)
1TB SATA (Second drive)
RAID 1
100 MBPS Uplink Port
15 TB
CENTOS 6
PHP 6.0

How can you have RAID 1 with 120GB SSD and 1TB SATA? or Both on RAID 1 i.e. Total 4 drives?

How can you have RAID 1 with 120GB SSD and 1TB SATA? or Both on RAID 1 i.e. Total 4 drives?
Slipping up today, it is actually 3 drives;

120GB SSD (Primary)
120GB SSD (Second drive)
1TB SATA (Third drive)

Forgot to mention the monthly cost is:
  • Plan Price

$322.80

• Plan Price after six month:

$178.90

Where are you getting it from? It is quite expensive :o

Does the fee include any extras like cPanel? Full server management? Or just the box itself?

Way to expensive you can find better prices and servers elsewhere, managed also.

Where are you getting it from?

Does the fee include any extras like cPanel? Full server management? Or just the box itself?
www.AIT.com their based in NC, USA. For fully managed it's extra and the Plesk which is added into that plan is 40/month. Check out their dedicated server list and let me know what you think please.

www.AIT.com their based in NC, USA. For fully managed it's extra and the Plesk which is added into that plan is 40/month. Check out their dedicated server list and let me know what you think please.

No need to look, from what you've told us they're charging you a lot, to much in fact. To top it off, it isn't fully managed nor includes a control panel.

Do you know what resources your site currently uses and setup? That way we can look for other solutions that will accommodate you at a much more reasonable rate.

I didnt know the rules about posting links to hosts.

If you are looking for a professional server management that is top notch i would suggest Rack911

You can find their reviews on Web hosting talk. Steven the owner is the most knowledgeable Linux person i have ever run across.

When my site was growing like yours and i was outgrowing every hosting package i was on i contacted Steven for help and have been with him ever since. He saved my back side more times than one. Check him out, contact him with questions. He is always around to help.

He also handles my backups, i could not imagine a better company handling my forums right now.

https://www.rack911.com/

Who do you guys also recommend from USA?

I am with nimbus hosting in UK and their great, phenomenal at that but I need a server in USA due to a few reasons.

Top Bottom