Is there a way to enter tabular data?

Jennifer Murphy

Does this software have a way to enter data in columns, as in a table?

If I paste a table, such as from Word or Excel, this software compresses out all of the extra spaces, making the data useless. I even tried using a monospaced font (Courier), but the same thing happens. There doesn;t even appear to be a Quote or Code button, which leave the data as entered.

I am using sciforums.com, which appears to be using this forum software. Almost all of the forums I follow (dozens) have a table button that allows entering data in columns.

OMG, that's awful. It's essentially unusable, IMHO.

Here's an example of a reasonably decent implementation: http://www.vbulletin.com/. I use it on http://www.mrexcel.com/.
Try this. Lot more intuitive and user friendly. Just add the table bb codes and add your data values separated by , | or whatever else you need. Adds sorting as well.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/datatables-bb-code-by-waindigo.60251/

@Audentio Design would really appreciate it if you guys could make this addon even better. A good table addon is a must for a software like xenforo. I have tried all table bb codes on here and this is by far the most intuitive and easy for the everyday user. I hope that this is expanded upon.

tajhay,

That's certainly better, but still mediocre at best. Switch to something like vBulletin with more or less wysiwyg table support. This is 2015 (almost 2016). We've had wysiwyg for, oh, 35+ years! vBulletin also provides buttons for Code, Quote and other things. ymmv

OMG, that's awful. It's essentially unusable, IMHO.

If you're referring to having to have all the code in a mess in order to have the table display correctly, @Nights provided a fix in that thread Mouth linked to--it's @Brogan's resource, and it does work great. As soon as you become licensed, you may ask any questions you have and receive specific support in that thread. :)

If you're referring to having to have all the code in a mess in order to have the table display correctly, @Nights provided a fix in that thread Mouth linked to--it's @Brogan's resource, and it does work great. As soon as you become licensed, you may ask any questions you have and receive specific support in that thread. :)
I'm never going to become licensed. I'm just a user of a lot of forums. I came here from sciforums to see if it was really true that there is no support for tables. Bye-bye.

And which button would that be?

I wondered how long it would be until someone used that tired old line. Much easier to attack the messenger than fix the software.

The one that has quote, spoiler, and code under it. I am on a phone so if it has a name I can't tell you it. On the same block as the smiley and media buttons.

You don't come onto a commercial site hawking the competitions software. It's not broken its just missing a feature you desire.

Remember that half the team here was responsible for vbulletin 3. It's not like they don't know what they are doing or how to do it. Most of us are here because we hate vbulletin.

The one that has quote, spoiler, and code under it. I am on a phone so if it has a name I can't tell you it. On the same block as the smiley and media buttons.
Found it, thanks. I don't know how I missed it. It seems to work so it could be used to emulate tables with some tedious editing work.
Code:
   A     B     C
  aaa   bbb   ccc
  123   456   789
 1.23  4.56  7.89
But if I have a table in Word, even if it's in Courier, when pasted into a CODE block all of the spaces are compressed out (stupid) and it adds an extra blank line between each line.
You don't come onto a commercial site hawking the competitions software.
There you go again. I'm not hawking anything. I'm neither selling nor buying anything. I ran into what I consider a glaring hole in this software. I thought I'd stop over here to see if it really was a hole of if the folks on sciforums were using it wrong.
It's not broken its just missing a feature you desire.
That's like saying that a car you designed without a rear view mirror is not broken. In my opinion, it's broken -- very broken.
Remember that half the team here was responsible for vbulletin 3. It's not like they don't know what they are doing or how to do it. Most of us are here because we hate vbulletin.
So the team used to drive Fords, but they hated them so much they decided to build Edsels? vBulletin is far from perfect, but it's better than XenForo in this user's opinion.

This is not great software. You can circle the wagons or stick your heads in the sand, if you like, or you can fix it. I came here just to ask questions. You have converted me into an opponent. Now I absolutely will promote vBulletin over XenForo whenever I get a chance. Good work.

Last edited:
Does vb allow you to copy and paste tables and its displayed properly as the OP suggests? I cant seem to find an example that it is infact correct without the use of bbcodes. Anyone seen any examples? If so would love to see that in xenforo.

Does vb allow you to copy and paste tables and its displayed properly as the OP suggests? I cant seem to find an example that it is infact correct without the use of bbcodes. Anyone seen any examples? If so would love to see that in xenforo.

vB's editor allowed the use of HTML if enabled on the back end. Huge security issue but it was pretty useful as well.

vB's editor allowed the use of HTML if enabled on the back end. Huge security issue but it was pretty useful as well.
Aah cheers for that. So basically the OP can give parsehtml access to trusted users who may want to copy paste from excel. Theres an addon that allows that.

Does this software have a way to enter data in columns, as in a table?

If I paste a table, such as from Word or Excel, this software compresses out all of the extra spaces, making the data useless. I even tried using a monospaced font (Courier), but the same thing happens. There doesn;t even appear to be a Quote or Code button, which leave the data as entered.

I am using sciforums.com, which appears to be using this forum software. Almost all of the forums I follow (dozens) have a table button that allows entering data in columns.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinymce-quattro-and-its-wysiwyg-bbcodes.1881/

Top Bottom